Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI overhaul kit and shift boss review

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI overhaul kit and shift boss review

I just want to share with you my experience with TCI.
I recently had my 4l60e rebuild. I bought the TCI Pro Super Transmission Overhaul Kit ( shift kit included) , and the TCI shift boss programmer. My car is bone stock, no mods and not pushing big numbers.
The first few days after the rebuild, the car was perfect, shifting was smooth, all gears working great, and i have to say the shift programmer makes a difference in shifting firmness. It is a must buy.
One week later, 2nd gear started slipping. Of course i did race the car during that week for like 5 times, but is that it? that's what it can handle ?
Anywayz today i removed my gearbox to see whats the problem, and believe it or not the clutches were not looking good at all. some were burnt and others about to.
the 2nd gear's band which comes with the kit was ruined, and it ruined that box that it covers ( dont know the name ). Anywayz the clutches are Alto and according to my mechanic such problems are not unusual with Alto clutches. I was so disappointed with TCI's kit. Now i got the raybestos clutches along with the Z-pack for 3-4th. and a new band.
It was a bad experience but i learned from it. Hope i helped some of you who were thinking of the TCI rebuild. At least get a better one if you want TCI.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

You have other issues if you are smoking a 2-4 band. Any brand band will hold, just that some are better in the long run. The factory Borg Warner Hi-Energy 2-4 band is the best. Make sure you replace the reverse/input drum that the 2-4 bands rides on. I would be looking into the separator plate feed hole sizes, especially if you replaced yours with the TransGo separator plate, as they will be too small. If you need the right information, let me know and I will email the separator plate hole sizes needed here. You can call me with any questions. 909 795-1876. Dana

PS: The TCI rebuild kits are not up to par when it comes to LS1's, or any 4L60E with any kind of horsepower.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi RaM,
Were you having any problems before you rebuilt the transmission? It just seems odd that the 2-4 band was smoked. I'd look closely at the servo.
Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Default TCI Rebuild kit

I sure am glad I read this. Fixing to go through the 60 in the reviving of my 02 Sierra. I had seen from the personal experience of a good friend their converters are ****. This all says back to the drawing board for me.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Teching In

hey guys sorry for the late replies. YES i had problems with my gearbox before relbuilding, 2nd gear was not engaging at WOT. and when it does it slips, 4th gear was not engaging at all. not even at cruise speed. Now the car is great, i got another rebuild kit as i said and it is working just fine all gears are smooth, and perfect. I still have a problem with the shift boss reader, i cant let it read the correct temperature. its always flashing as if it is at start up. I will re check the wiring as soon as i have time.
Best Regards.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Teching In

The readings are not going to be at one constant number. The pressure will vary with any type of throttle position change and the temperature is not going to stay a constant either.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rsm425
The readings are not going to be at one constant number. The pressure will vary with any type of throttle position change and the temperature is not going to stay a constant either.
hey there, i am pretty sure everyone knows that the readings wont be constant. but the problem is it is showing 286 and flashing. It flashes when it reaches high temps (dangerously high) and it stay 286/284 and flashing. On occasions it give number 10 for 1 minute or less, then gets back to flashing.
thank you.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PBA
You have other issues if you are smoking a 2-4 band. Any brand band will hold, just that some are better in the long run. The factory Borg Warner Hi-Energy 2-4 band is the best. Make sure you replace the reverse/input drum that the 2-4 bands rides on. I would be looking into the separator plate feed hole sizes, especially if you replaced yours with the TransGo separator plate, as they will be too small. If you need the right information, let me know and I will email the separator plate hole sizes needed here. You can call me with any questions. 909 795-1876. Dana

PS: The TCI rebuild kits are not up to par when it comes to LS1's, or any 4L60E with any kind of horsepower.
^^^^^^ He is 100% right, I had my 4L60E rebuilt w/ that Kit, lets just say, I had to milk the car home after 6 passes on 8/6..lost 3-4..NOT HAPPY!

Quick Reply: TCI overhaul kit and shift boss review