Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping 2005 LQ9 into Fox Body. Please help.Lots of ?'s, please try to answer some!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping 2005 LQ9 into Fox Body. Please help.Lots of ?'s, please try to answer some!

Okay, I bought the coupe below for my LS-swap car.

5" extended cowl hood (might ditch this since the LS1 doesn't exactly require a 5 inch hood!
New paint job (not my personal pick, but the quality of work is great, I'll keep it for a while at least)
Brand new black carpet
Brand new black Corobeau seats
Custom door panels/headliner/rear seat delete (looks nice)
Painless wiring kit (only lights wired right now, probably going to buy a pre-fabbed LS1 harness)
Moroso 7 switch panel (not installed either)
10 pnt cage painted to match the car
Fiberglass trunk lid
8 gal aluminum fuel cell
Battery cut off switch and jumper leads
Brand new Pro Stars with new tires (28x11.50 ET Streets on back)

All suspension is brand new.
Full Upr suspension: tubular k-member, coil-overs all the way around, Flaming River steering rack, adjustable upper and lower control arms, and has Aerospace Components brakes all the way around.

Rearend: 8.8 with welded axle tubes, Moser 33 spline axles, pro gear 3.73 gears w/spool.

From what I hear it will weigh in the neighborhood of 2500lbs.

I am picking up an 2005 LQ9 out of a Escalade this evening for the swap.

My plan so far is (please critique):
1: Swap the UPR K-Member for an AJE w/LS1 mounts
2: Pick up an AJE Powerglide/TH350 cross-member for my TH350
3: Get a crank adapter to run SBC converter on LS engine (where do I get this?)
4: Modify Flexplate from the 6.0 to use with SBC converter/th350 (what needs to be done)?
5: I don't really know where to start for the driveshaft, any help would be appreciated.
6: I also do not know the best option for the radiator.
7: Engine is coming with complete wiring harness, will this be use-able, and what exactly needs to be done to make it work?
8: Obviously I'll want to switch from the "drive-by-wire" setup to a cable type, will this work?
9: The motor comes complete, are there any sensors I'll need to replace or will everything work fine since I am using the factory harness (which is still all hooked up)?
10: Which PCM will I need to buy as this engine does not come with one.
11: Does the PCM need to have speed input, if so whats the best way on a fox body with a th350?
12: For headers I have heard that 351w fox swap headers work just fine but you have to weld on ls flanges, any idea where I can get the flanges and if this is true? Are there any other options here?
13: Will I need to only run the upstream o2 sensors as the car will have no cat's, can I just get the PCM tuned to not require rear's?
14: I plan to only run the waterpump and an alternator, the car has manual steering, brakes, no a/c, no heat, etc. This should make for a clean install and lighter weight, no problems here correct, the engine I am getting comes will all accessories, will I need to make a custom alt bracket?
15: Should I take the PCM to a local tuner or mail order since I'll need to get the anti-theft turned off and get the tune setup for the swap.
16: My buddy is offering me his LS6 cam/springs, would this be a good swap until I can get some L92 heads and a big cam?
17: How much nitrous is an LQ9 good for?
18: Any other issues you guys see for the swap? The car currently has a 12 circuit painless setup in it that is not fully wired up, from what I've read only a few of the wires from the harness need to get hooked up, I guess I'll figure that out if someone links me to a wiring guide for re-pinning the 2005 harness.
19: For fuel my plan is a C5 filter/regulator, which pump would work good for my setup, 8 gal fuel cell that is sumped, it will have to be external pump.
20: Which bolts will work for flexplate/crank adapter?

Quick Reply: Swapping 2005 LQ9 into Fox Body. Please help.Lots of ?'s, please try to answer some!