General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Newly bght 95 Z..shakes and stutters a lot out of 1st gear..possible misfire..or..?.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newly bght 95 Z..shakes and stutters a lot out of 1st gear..possible misfire..or..?.

Newly bght 95 Z..shakes and stutters a lot out of 1st gear..possible misfire..or..?.

Just bought the car...and it's in great shape very happy with it.
But of course it has little things to take care of.

I have some money to budget on it...so I'd like to not just rush into replacing this or that without confirming the problem.
If you guys have some know how please chime in.

The shaking and stuttering/chugging happens not just out of 1st gear but whenever RPMS go under 2000 in any gear.
I'll try to explain how it shakes:
It SEEMS to stem from the engine....all the way back to the tranny. The tranny and shifter shake pretty hardcore as if the tranny was loose. From left to right. (out of first gear it seems at times like a clutch engagement issue)
It does this even while driving smoothly above 2000 rpms...but a lot less of course it does it in like a vibration type manor in 5th or 6th cruising.
My initial reaction would be to replace the engine mounts and tranny mounts.
But it could be plugs too. Or maybe wires.
I guess I also can't rule out the clutch right? Since it could be an engagement issue.
Im a little rusty on LT1 troubleshooting.
The car starts right up and doesnt sputter on idle...so im kinda ruling out the opti being the problem.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well, it could be a number of things. For starters, how's the tranny mount? That could be the source of all of your vibration. Have you looked at your u joints?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No haven't checked either just checking on ideas and experiences....before I go down there hunting. Thanks for the ujoint reminder..its also possible for the driveshaft to be out of balance or the u joints to be bad like u suggested.