Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...

I found a guy who had this in his sig. Thought it was funny, and don't think it's real. Is it?!?

I've never heard of one until today.

http://ImageEvent.com/ls1z28/f1camaro
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

looks like an SS with some sticker package...Ive never heard of it either. The convo at the top is pretty funny though
Old 07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Teching In

i think whoever sold it to him fed him a bunch of BS and he ate it all
Old 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Teching In

F1 Camaros are real, however I don’t believe that is a true F1 Camaro. I believe they were only offered in 96, someone with more knowledge on the subject can provide the details.

Here is a link to some pics
http://rides.webshots.com/album/47423318LwkUks

Last edited by GPG 02; 07-29-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The F-1 was a dealer install option package offered.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

F-1 is real but as said was dealer installed and was mainly seen on 95-96 LT1 Z28s.

Here's a link to more info discussed about them last year

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-e...999f1-car.html

You guys have to remember there were tons of special edition non SLP 4th gens. Google these cars just to name a few

Pre-GMMG LT1 Dale Earnhardt Camaro
Callaway C8
LG Motorsports edition
Doug Rippie DRM/400
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F-1 package was dealer installed from GM Performance Parts. It was just ZR1 wheels and the ground effects, IIRC. As has been mentioned, I think it was only offered in 95 or 96. Perhaps the parts were still available in to the LS1 years, but I don't believe so.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Lot Of Mis-information going on here. Yes, They Are real and more than a sticker pkg put on by the dealer. They were offered in 3 pkgs that could be purchased in stages or all at once.
They were:
2 performance packages
1. Handling Suspension/ wheel pkg: which included larger sways (Same as 1LE pkg) and ZR1 wheels/ Tires in 17x9 or 16x8.
2. Intake /exhaust/shifter Pkg: SLP CAI polished and re-badged GMPP, SLP full stainless 2OTL catback exhaust system, Hurst 6 SPD shifter upgrade.
And external appearance package: Stripes, Emblems, and RS GFX, and interior floor mats.
As well as some dealers offered F-1 options for seat covers, car covers, trophy mats, and dash enhancement pkgs, among other things too.

They were available from late 95-01 in different forms. They were sold by GMPP, but the parts were designed and built by SLP, and were considered a prelude to the SS packages offered later.
They Were A GMPP Dealer or self installed package, depending on what year the car was, and how the package was purchased. They were offered on both the V6/ RS and V8/ Z28 models, and replaced the badging of either, with the same F-1 Camaro emblems. The appearance package ground effects are identical to the RS cars of early (LT1) or late (LS1) 4th gens.

1993-96 dealer brochure:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-1994-1995-1...4#ht_509wt_911

1996/7 dealer brochure:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-Chevrolet-C...b#ht_500wt_928

1998-01 dealer brochure: no link ATT.

I hope this clears up any doubts or ? people have on these rare cars.

Dub

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 07-31-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spacing/ edit
Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gee, what a can of worms is being opened...

I'm not ready to write my F1 article on my site yet, but let me go over some of the basics just from my memory...

The F1 was not a limited or special edition like (for example) the '97 30th Anniversary Edition Z28 or SS was. It was an aftermarket set of parts that you could add to your car yourself, or have a GM Performance Parts center (AKA dealership) do for you.

The F1 package became available around late '96 or early '97 and it was all dealer installed equipment. You could take your older Camaro to your dealership and have it turned into an F1 if you wanted--that was perfectly acceptable. It was just a way for GM to cash in on the aftermarket.

In the beginning, the available items were ground effects and spoiler add-on (exactly like the '96-'97 RS), cold air induction (it was a chrome or polished metal air intake by SLP... the peculiar design that uses two tubes rather than one), a special cat-back exhaust system made of stainless steel (SLP's two-on-the-left), F1 emblems, Hurst shifter, 1LE stabilizer bars, ZR1 style wheels, and stripe decals.

That said, you could get the entire packaged set of options, and technically claim your car as an F1 special edition. The cost of that was (yes, I had to look this up in my archives) $1750 + the cost of whatever wheels or tires you wanted. The wheels and tires were not required for an F1 to be an F1. Would this show up as an RPO code or in the VIN number? No. So technically it's just an aftermarket modification. Does that make it lame or anything? Not really. It's just like owning a DRM400, ZR28, Callaway C8, or Mecham Z29R... just much less expensive than those other aftermarket options.

A little known fact I remember is that GM wanted to offer Brembo front disc brakes, but because of the $3000+ price tag, they didn't think they'd be profitable to resell.

Another little known fact is that the F1 package was available in Europe and Japan, and it was pretty popular there since there weren't a lot of aftermarket part options in those countries at the time. Might have been available in other regions as well.

I believe the Torsen limited slip differential eventually became available, and the stripe colors I'm a little fuzzy on just because it's impossible to spot an F1 set of stripes from many other aftermarket stripes. I believe they were available in red, black, silver, and gold though. Floor mats became available as well in multiple colors to match your factory carpet and they'd say GM Specialty Vehicle on them.

I don't know a great deal about the F1 package for the '98-'02 cars because I never saw any magazine articles written about F1 after about '97. If anybody has any literature or invoices or anything they'd scan for me to use on my site... I'd really love to see them. If anybody has the F1 flyers sold on ebay, I'd love to see scans.

Here's a scan I made several years ago from the GM accessories brochure that came with our 35th LE.

Here's three other tidbits that I'd like more information on should anybody have information...

1) I believe GM's test car that had the Brembo brakes on it was silver with black stripes. You can identify it because it has special seat covers that were two-tone with something embroidered on the headrests. All pics I have of it are in black and white, so I'm just guessing on the color. Something else weird about is is the grill is the same color as the body, as were the headlight buckets. It has t-tops.

2) There was a mustard yellow F1 built by somebody... I'd like details on it should anybody know anything about it. It was extremely nice looking. It might have been a SEMA car.

3) I believe GM had an F1 show car that was black with red stripes. It was a convertible.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well how do you like this... look what I just found... a picture of the test car from SEMA one year... bad.... assssssss!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As usual, we're all usurped by Brangeta

I was almost completely correct on my assessment. I thought it was just ground effects -- didn't know the CAI, exhaust and suspension were available for it. I also didn't know it went into the LS1 years.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, thanks! Take what I said with a grain of salt however. The timeline stuff has always been hard for me to find proof of. It's possible F-1 stuff was available in '95, but from what I do have... it seems late '96 or early '97.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Default F1 Camaro

Sorry for going all thread necromancer on everyone but I just wanted to chime in and mention that I actually F1'ed my 1993 Z28 from the GM Performance Parts Catalog back in 1996 or so.

I ordered the full ground effects package, spoiler, Intake, Exhaust and silver stripes for my black Z28. I did not order the rims. In addition to all of the correct information listed in the posts by 93 F1 Z28 and Brangeta I will mention two other items of note.

The stripe package contained replacement stickers for the side of the cars where the Z28 logo was applied. GM High tech performance did an F1 car and chose to put the F1 sticker below the Z28 badge. I had my badges removed and the F1 stickers put in their place like the car linked at the top of the thread.

My package also included a metal plaque for placement near the ash tray that said something like "GM Performance Parts Specialty Vehicle" and may or may not have been individually numbered. I never installed mine and eventually lost it before trading it in. I may have even had F1 floor mats but not sure.

Speaking of trading it in, I last saw the car around 1998 in Vacaville California where I used to live. I have never seen one since, though I did purchase a set of F1 badges and center caps (for the SS style wheels) from a guy over at the camaro SS owners association web page a few years back, just in case I wanted to try to make another F1 Camaro someday. This should be doable as the stripe kits are easily available or recreated and the ground effects and wheels are also easy to get ahold of. I am sure with a little work it would be easy to source the two tube intake and a two on the left exhaust.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is one for sale on craigslist. It has been on there for a while now.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...605374225.html
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

illy, you're right about the badge for the interior, but it wasn't individually numbered unfortunately. I don't have time to look through my files right now but I believe the badge said "GM Specialty Vehicle"
Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a 1998 locally a few years ago, it was just a black z28 with the rs package and f1 stickers where z28 emblems should have been
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

regardless, it is a nice looking car.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have some of the F1 parts on my car. I ordered a 1LE with the F1 ornmentation package (sp) it included the floor mats fender stickers and console badge. I also had the dealer install the rs rear spoiler (3 pieces) and the hood and deck stripes. I also bought the wheel center caps ?? I never did order the wheels. They were the ZR1 type I think. I also passed on the ground affects.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
F1
On The Tree

My First 4th Gen... Explains my User Name as well.... Here are some pics of my conversion. At the time I didn't like the spoilers so I invested in a Hood instead..
Attached Thumbnails F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...-f1.jpg   F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...-f1eng.jpg   F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...-f1int.jpg   F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...-f1wheel-1-.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

F1 nice looking ride. I like the head rest logo. I still like those wheels also. One day I'll get a set for show only. In 98 the Trans Am had an option wheel that the brochure shows you could order. I 've never seen them in person, not sure if they ever made them. It was a 1 year deal if that. I would like to get those.

Did you order the exhaust also. I see in the pic that you have the cold air set up. I installed one of those on a guys car years ago. The Ls cars didn't have those upgrades as options in the package.

Quick Reply: F-1 Camaro... is there such a thing? lol...