Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paddle shifted ls1 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddle shifted ls1 question

im currently 15 years old but my first car will be a 78-81 camaro that ill buy cheap, my question is im planning on swapping out whatever engine the car comes with and install a used ls1 that ill install a Texas speed ms3 cam and stage 2 heads and a aftermarket intake and throttle body, etc. now what kind of 4 or 5 automatic transmission can i buy for under $1500 used that ill somewhat rebuild, that will operate with a tci transmission control unit and and a tci paddle shifter.

also can anyone tell me what its like driving a automatic paddle shifter.
what does one haft to do when they turn the car on, and how do you reverse then put into drive then start driving. does the the transmission automatically switches down into first once you stop the car at say a stop light then you start driving again. and how do you get it into neutral, reverse, and park.

paddle shifter is one of my options or ill go with a ratchet shifter or regular stick shift

Last edited by brad99; 07-30-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

that should be a pretty nice set up.. im not sure how the paddle shitting works s far as reverse and drive..when ur ready just find a motor and trans together. if you know how to do ur own trany rebuild then check out monster trans. i jut got my monster in a box, comes with everything u'll need.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Just get a normal auto on the floor or a manual.

I guess if you can get paddle shifters to work itd be different but itd be a waste of money really. I shifted the auto at the track and its slower than letting it run so why youd want to do this I dont know. Unless its a vw dsg its not going to have an advantage most likely.

You want to pay $1,500 for a trans then build it? Why not buy a built auto for the ls engine for the same price?
Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still need the mechanical shifter, even with the TCI paddle shifter. To make the paddle shifter active, just put the floor shifter in the 4th gear position and turn on the manual shifter switch.

Quick Reply: paddle shifted ls1 question