Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating Oil Temp on Sketchy Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fluctuating Oil Temp on Sketchy Build

I have fluctuating oil temps on an LS6 with mild comp cam xfi 265 and lt headers. The oil temp shoots up high at idle to 270+, when I rev the motor the temperature drops back down to high normal 240ish. I have a build that has been fraught with oddities. Here is the background story.

I bought the 05 CTS-V sight unseen with a rod knock knowing that I would have to replace the engine immediately. It only has 59k miles, it was a repo/auction find. The seller who bought it from the auction had a rebuilt LS6 short block and a set of unassembled 243 heads that he sold me. I got all the receipts for machine work and components. The motor came with the lower end and cam installed. I assembled the heads and installed them on the motor. I dropped the cradle on the CTS-V and replaced the motor. After it was running again, I noticed that the valve train made a fairly loud sewing machine noise. I assumed it was normal and took it for a tune at LG Motorsports in Wylie, TX (I live a mile away) The mechanic, Sean ran it on the dyno and said the noise wasn't normal and he thought it would be dangerous to run it again after the first pull. The LG motorsports guys are a class act. They helped my trouble shoot some of the little issues I was having and really deliver on the customer service. It ran 365RWHP which I was really happy about, however I was extremely concerned about the motor. I was running 5/30 mobile 1 and a k&n filter so i assume that it is protected. Here is where my ignorance is going to show: my oil pressure sensor was shot and I had assumed that it was fine. I thought that the noise was caused by bad rocker arms. It was only component that wasn't brand spanking new. I pulled a few of them and they seemed to have too much play. I ordered a set from chevy and noticed the new ones had the same play. Rockers were fine....oil pressure had to be the issue. So again my ignorance shows: I replaced the oil pump and didn't pack it with oil. I was thinking that perhaps the pump spacer without sealant was part of the issue and forgot that critical step. Once back together it ran like complete sh$%. I really didn't give it more that a few minutes before I shut it off and checked the top end for oil. The valves were dry lifters and or oil pump weren't working at all. In a flash I thought perhaps I forgot the oil galley plug which would cause some the same issues, top end oil loss etc. Never once through this was there ever an oil temp problem. So I dropped the motor once more tore off the rear seal and the oil galley plug was still in the motor. I swapped the oil galley plug with a new on for good measure. I took the opportunity to pack the new oil pump with moly lube and put the car back together. Now I have the oil temp issue. My first thought is that the roller lifters are toast. If their bearings are shot then they are getting really hot until I rev the motor cooling them. Just doesn't make any sense, I traded one issue for another. Now there is no noise from the valve train, very quiet. AND I replaced the oil sensor and get about 40 psi at idle.
This is my first LS build and I havent touched a small block for almost 20 years. I have to stop experimenting with solutions. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the dyno pull. You can hear the loud valve train noise at the end.