Finishing up the swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing up the swap

3.4 to LT1 swap.

My Build Thread

I'm pretty much done, and I can drive the car around a little bit now, but I'm still sorting out a few little problems and I need help!

First off, my transmission won't shift at WOT. I don't have any exhaust yet, I'll be going in Wednesday for that. But could that be causing the problem?

Next issue, ABS Inop light is on. We tried bleeding the brakes. Rear drums aren't bleeding at all, so something is fucked up there. Gave up with the drums and did the front calipers. Made a big difference, but I still have a lot of pedal travel. It's also doing a weird thing now where it shuddered a lot right before I come to a complete stop, we bled the proportioning valve and it was fine. But my pedal still travels pretty much to the floor with not a lot of pressure.

Another issue, my low trac light comes on when the car is completely off, and drains the battery over night. I have to figure out how to fix that before I can drive. Can I just unplug the bulb, or is there other stuff pulling energy as well? I can't drive my car anywhere and leave it for too long, because it kills the battery and I have to get it on a charger to start.

I need to know the 8th digit VIN that the code reader is looking for? My SES light is on, still, but when I scanned with the 'S' that is on my VIN plate for the 3.4, it failed. I cycled through some other digits and it didn't work. Going to need some help with this one, because my inside connector is still blue, for the older OBD system. So things are complicated I guess.

I found out the digit is P, but I still have the older connector so I'm guessing it's not going to work? Aside from a whole interior harness swap is there anyway to get that working right?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xKellyxVeitx
3.4 to LT1 swap.

My Build Thread

I'm pretty much done, and I can drive the car around a little bit now, but I'm still sorting out a few little problems and I need help!

First off, my transmission won't shift at WOT. I don't have any exhaust yet, I'll be going in Wednesday for that. But could that be causing the problem?

Next issue, ABS Inop light is on. We tried bleeding the brakes. Rear drums aren't bleeding at all, so something is fucked up there. Gave up with the drums and did the front calipers. Made a big difference, but I still have a lot of pedal travel. It's also doing a weird thing now where it shuddered a lot right before I come to a complete stop, we bled the proportioning valve and it was fine. But my pedal still travels pretty much to the floor with not a lot of pressure.

Another issue, my low trac light comes on when the car is completely off, and drains the battery over night. I have to figure out how to fix that before I can drive. Can I just unplug the bulb, or is there other stuff pulling energy as well? I can't drive my car anywhere and leave it for too long, because it kills the battery and I have to get it on a charger to start.

I need to know the 8th digit VIN that the code reader is looking for? My SES light is on, still, but when I scanned with the 'S' that is on my VIN plate for the 3.4, it failed. I cycled through some other digits and it didn't work. Going to need some help with this one, because my inside connector is still blue, for the older OBD system. So things are complicated I guess.

I found out the digit is P, but I still have the older connector so I'm guessing it's not going to work? Aside from a whole interior harness swap is there anyway to get that working right?
the shifting problem may be the tps sensor

the ops and traction light are coming from a sensor on the rear differential. its on the top on the top center of the housing but most likely you forgot to plug it in on there or on the the body. if not the sensor is bad.

the 8th vin number for the v8 computer is p.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam1203
the shifting problem may be the tps sensor

the ops and traction light are coming from a sensor on the rear differential. its on the top on the top center of the housing but most likely you forgot to plug it in on there or on the the body. if not the sensor is bad.

the 8th vin number for the v8 computer is p.
Thanks. I'll check into those things. Never unplugged anything from the rear though. So it might be on the other end. I'll double check anyway.

I was kind of thinking the TPS might be bad, because it'll shift around 5k under maybe 50% throttle.

TPS didn't help.

Last edited by xKellyxVeitx; 08-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so you didnt switch to a v8 posi axle? did you swap fuel pumps?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam1203
so you didnt switch to a v8 posi axle? did you swap fuel pumps?
Same rear end as before.

Walbro 255 fuel pump
Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xKellyxVeitx
Same rear end as before.

Walbro 255 fuel pump
hmmm i dont know then. id still check the wires. maybe the problem is in the wiring harness. the wiring harnesses are different from year to year. to make sure every thing lines up you should use the same year harness for the whole car.

what year is the engine harness? what year is the forward body harness? and what year is the dash harness?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Teching In

95 body/dash, 96 engine.

Edit: I also don't believe that the two lights are related. The Low Trac light isn't on while the key is on or the car is running. Just when the car is completely off, and the key can be removed. The ABS Inop light is off while the car is off, but comes off when the car is on or running.

Last edited by xKellyxVeitx; 08-02-2010 at 07:42 PM.