Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Smashed 99 Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smashed 99 Hawk

Hey guys,

On the weekend I was t-boned by a S*it box in the middle of an intersection.. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. I have a black 99 T/A Hawk with 21,000 miles on it. Its rarely driven and every part of this car is immaculate. I reported the accident to insurance and I'm waiting to hear back from the adjuster, keep it mind that I am from Canada if that means anything for you insurance guys out there... I want your guys opinion on what you believe needs replacing/adjustment so I have an idea when I go to the body shops. I am a nuub and just need a hand

I was soo upset I just wanted to get rid of the car at the
beginning, but I firmly believe that the car can be restored to near perfect again if I pay the right cost. I am thinking that the insurance company is going to write it off, but thats them, not me.. I am preparing myself for the worst from the insurance company. This car holds a lot of sentimental value to me as it's my first car. At the point of impact I was at a dead stop and I was struck at approx 15 mph.. I drove the car from the scene and it drives fine. A side from the damage I have noticed some gap issues between the hatch and the 1/4 and the hatch to the tail lights.

After you look at the pictures, I obviously need a:
-New quarter panel
-Window
-Door
-Side skirt
-Possible door panel (might still be O.K tho)
-Firehawk sticker on door
-the lumbar support buttons on the passenger side seat have busted but other than that its O.K.

Do you guys know where I could find these parts, does GM still have them? I am willing to pay to get the job done right.. no half fasting.. I am prepared to have the car sitting for 3-5 years due to budget issues.. I want to take it to the right place and get it done properly.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Smashed 99 Hawk-accident.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0106.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0107.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0111.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0108.jpg  

Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0110.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0112.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-imag0113.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn!! Soo low miles thats sucks! I wouldnt think they will total it, but as old as they are getting now its hard to say. If they do, Id buy it back and find someone to fix it. Its very fixable! Interested in selling the wheels?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Launching!

the car can be fixed my damage was similar other than your lower rocker panel is bent pretty bad, this happen to my hawk when it was three months old the car still smelled new, and they fixed it but it was almost new and cost quite a bit to put back right. i think your insurance wil total it but you said you were prepared to buy it back and fix it so im pretty sure thats the route your gonna half to take considering my body shop bill was 8 grand to fix the damage you see here. good luck with her....
Attached Thumbnails Smashed 99 Hawk-tore-up1.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-tore-up2.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-tore-up3.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch - what a gorgeous car!!!! They are right and mostlikely your insurance will total it out. Buy it back and sue the **** out of the guy that hit you for the repair difference.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

That sucks.. but, i am thinking that they will total it.. is there any damage to the chassis? i looks like the ar took a hard hit.. and if other panels aren't lining up right there is damage you can't see..
Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Well I personally don't believe so, I will have to take it to a few reputable shops around town to see what they think.. If this car had like 100 plus miles on it, I would definitely think about letting it RIP but not with 20k.. Like I said even if I have to wait 3-5 years to have it back on the road thats what I'm prepared to do..

Sorry to ask again guys, but do you guys know where I can find the parts mentioned in my original thread?

Now its just a waiting game.. I'm going to call the adjuster this morning and see what the next course of action is.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Damn!! Soo low miles thats sucks! I wouldnt think they will total it, but as old as they are getting now its hard to say. If they do, Id buy it back and find someone to fix it. Its very fixable! Interested in selling the wheels?
Haha sorry dude, if one got smashed I would have probably sold the rest.. considering that they are in excellent condition, it would be hard to find one that compares..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Launching!

i would check junkyards hell the classifids on this website isnt a bad place either. how does the hatch line up on the drivers side of the car also how does the drivers side of the hood line up with the fenders if the gap isnt even the car may be twisted the reason i say that is from your pictures it looks like the rocker took a pretty good shot and thats part of the uni-body, i hope thats not the case, that really sucks to see such a pristine low milage hawk get fucked up like that, beleive me i feel your pain bro.

FWIW those firehawk stickers are a pain in the *** to find i luckly found a whole set of stickers for my car on e-bay i have also seen where people have had the made by a sticker shop. hope this helps.

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 08-04-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

Thats understandable..I made the mistake and sold mine last year and now I miss them and want the car to look original and not like a race car!!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

damn man, that sucks. Well i hope all goes well with the insurance, just keep fighting with them tho
Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Hey guys!

Excellent news, just received a call from the insurance.. This is what the guy said "since the vehicle has been maintained to such a high standard and the mileage is so low, we are going to repair the car for you."

I am waiting to hear back on how much they actually valued the car at, but he said that it will be in the shop for about a month and the cost of repair has been estimated at $9800.00.

I'm sure you guys know how happy I am that I dont have to let her RIP for such a minor collision.

BTW I will need a new Firehawk decal for my passenger door, I know that they are discontinued, but does anyone know of anyone on here that makes them?? I know its kinda hush hush and that SLP doesn't want people making them etc.. but if you know someone that makes quality replacements, can you please shoot me a PM? Having that decal will be icing on the cake

Jason
Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG!!!!!!! Keep that insurance company. I am completely shocked they are going to fix it with that high a repair bill. Awesome news!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Launching!

I did a lot of research on here before I took it to the body shop and to be honest I was very afraid that they were going to write it off, as some guys on here experienced less severe accidents than me and they were write offs. I'm only 22 and was afraid that if this was a write off, I would have to wait like 10 or more years before I could buy another one.. Because I have a baby and a house now, and having a mint condition sports car would be out of the question.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice that your insurance will repair it. Unless SLP can help you, it'll be extremely hard to find the correct hawk decals.

The best part of all that is that it you won't be driving a salvage title vehicle.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

what kind of insurance company if you dont mind?? and thats good news man. Now lets hope the bodywork is perfect!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Well the broker is called Precept and the actual insurance company is Intact. I don't know if Canadian to American car insurance is different, I can't see it being much different.. That's why I was scared that it was going to be written off based on what you guys have been saying and other threads.

Yeah I know.. the stress is finally over. The last 3 days have been hell for me. I have been making myself sick over it. Now I just really hope it comes out just as good or better that before haha..
Old 08-06-2010, 02:32 AM
TECH Junkie

i would see if the body shop that the car goes to can either get em or have em made somewhere cause for the times that i had to deal with an insurance company they would always fix the car to look the way it did before the wreck happened and since there were the stickers on there i dont see why they wouldnt try like hell to replace them as well
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

like i stated earlier i found a whole set on ebay if you look around you will find some i know somone on here had the stickers made ill see if i can find the thread, glad to here they're fixing it i had a feeling it was gonna cost more than my repair cause of the rocker damage but hopefully you'll get her back like she was.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Well I just got back from the body shop and they going to start the work on the car ASAP.. I went over a few things with him the appraiser/estimater. I guess their going to be using some used parts.. I know the door is going to be used and part of the inner rocker. I have personal connection to this body shop, as I am close to one of the managers and I know they do good work.

I wanted to buy new, but then I would have to pay the difference from the used part price to the new price and for those two parts were talking like almost $2,000. When they receive the door skin I will be going in to look at it to ensure that its in good overall condition and if I'm not happy, I will be ordering a new one. As far as the rocker goes, its galvanized steel, so it shouldn't rust. So there shouldn't be any issues there. They had it up on the hoist and said the rest of the unibody is in excellent condition, a side from the rocker replacement. I am very fortunate that it wasn't worse.

It looks like they're going to order me a new interior door skin and possible seat! The seats are in excellent condition to begin with, but when the accident happened, a few buttons were busted off and the plastic trim (for the lumbar support) is kinda in rough shape, so thats all good news.. I also mentioned the Firehawk decals would need replacement. He said he knows a few vinyl guys in town and they would come to trace the good size and make a near perfect match. He said if there was too much of a difference they would just replace both decals on the doors so it looks better. He then said if I didn't like the way they looked then I could just purchase some elsewhere. They have been very patient with me and understand this car is not just a point A to B kinda car.

I don't know much about body work, but I hope everything turns out O.K, as far as paint matching and new vs. old paint on the car. My paint is in decent shape anyways, but I hope the difference isn't too large to be bothersome.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Launching!

there it is bud hope this helps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fireh...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: Smashed 99 Hawk