Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another which cam thread (i know, i know)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another which cam thread (i know, i know)

okay...so here's my goal....i would like a cam only set up that will get me low 12 ET's possibly dipping into the 11's with decent air...

My current mods are in my sig. with a SS3600 stall getting put it soon...

My current PB ET is in my sig as well...that was with a DA of 2300...
I recently installed the FTRA and went back to the track and ran another 13.1 but this time a 106 mph with a 3000 DA....so i figure i gained about .8 in the 1/4 with the FTRA it just didn't show with the DA....

i've been searching for a couple of months now of and on and have come up with 3 choices so far (all from TSP):

228r
Torquer V2
233/239

I'd rather just get an off the shelf cam so i'm not interested in a custom grind...

I daily drive my car but i understand drivability is in the tune so it isn't much of a concern for me...
i don't want a high revving cam but would like it to pull hard up top...

After the cam i plan on seeing where i'm at in the 1/4....and if i want a little more i'll probably just add a 100 shot....that should satisfy me and easily get me into the 11's...if for some reason i get bored with that some day i'll think about Heads....

i'm not really asking which cam is better, i'm just more or less looking for opinions as to which of the 3 i should go with...perhaps some input from those who have these cams...

I'm leaning towards the TQ V2 because i feel it will shine better if i do indeed decide to get heads in the future, am i right about this?

Thanks in advance...

P.S. ~ I'm not a dyno queen so i don't really care about peak power...i'm more interested in the curve and which will serve me best both on the street and the track.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

The TQ V2 or the 233/239 should get you all there. You have the most important mod you can do to an A4 which is a converter on the way. A 3600 should give you plenty of room to grow as you go. Now the other question are u doing any spray on it or any type of FI. Reason being you need to have the stall specked for it also. you are already @ a 13.1 so getting into the 12's is not an issue.

I also think that once you put the stall in that you should be breaking 12s. Once the cam goes in you should be deeper into the 12s add some descent worked(flowing) heads an you are all there.

Now the best advise I was given and I will pas it on to you is this; For A4s (any auto) the best thing to do is a specked cam there is no two ways about it. Ask any guy with an Auto, now not saying that an off the shelf cam won't do but like I was explained once, a degree or 2 difference in lobe separation on an off the shelf cam can make a difference between a good and a great performing cam in an auto.

Retired
USASOC

Oh before I forget EPS makes some really good cams with lobes that are easier on your valve train that put up some really nice numbers I am using an Ed Curtis custom cam.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even the 228r will get you there. i have a 4k circled stall, and hope to run at best an 11.8 this year.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys...02*C5....thanks for that little bit of advice on custom cams.....i've never heard that before but i understand what you mean....

i'm hoping a little tuning will shave atleast .1 of my time...that would put me at 12.9 assuming the DA is around 2300....i'm hoping the stall will put me at about 12.4 or so with a 2300 DA.....how much gain do cams usually give? i'm figuring like .2 or so maybe.....if so that would put at about 12.2....so with some good air i could see 11.8-11.9's......even if not a 100 shot would put me there.....

I'm not spraying now....that's something i'll do in the future if i'm not happy with my cars performance after all the other mods....so i didn't buy the converter to match nitrous.....but from what i've read the SS 3600 is a pretty good all around stall....
Old 08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like the torquer is your best bet then, it will drive nice and you wont have to spin it out real high. But i bet you are going to wish you went a little bigger with the 233 239, that is an awesome cam.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 180ls1
It sounds like the torquer is your best bet then, it will drive nice and you wont have to spin it out real high. But i bet you are going to wish you went a little bigger with the 233 239, that is an awesome cam.
yeah...that's kind of why i'm not sure which one...the 228r seems to be a good all around "general" cam....TQ V2 seems more my style.....but as you said, i'm afraid i'm going to wish for/want more which is why the 233/239 is on the list...

But I am also going to consider a custom grind cam as well....while there are a few vendors on this site that get great reviews on their custom grinds, i'm just afraid of trusting a custom cam to deliver exactly how i want it. atleast with an off the shelf cam i know others have used that cam and what to expect from it. With a custom cam there's not really anybody to vouch for the particular specs of the custom grind. am i making sense? lol

As i said though, i am going to still consider it as an option.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the thread baby EPS cam in the dyno section,more power less duration.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Torquer V2 you will love it.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You pretty much just listed the area in between a 224/224 cam and the Magicsticks. I too would vote for a custom cam. I like my 228r, but I have a feeling it will be coming out the beginning of next year and a custom cam will be going in.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greasemonkeysoldier
yeah...that's kind of why i'm not sure which one...the 228r seems to be a good all around "general" cam....TQ V2 seems more my style.....but as you said, i'm afraid i'm going to wish for/want more which is why the 233/239 is on the list...

But I am also going to consider a custom grind cam as well....while there are a few vendors on this site that get great reviews on their custom grinds, i'm just afraid of trusting a custom cam to deliver exactly how i want it. atleast with an off the shelf cam i know others have used that cam and what to expect from it. With a custom cam there's not really anybody to vouch for the particular specs of the custom grind. am i making sense? lol

As i said though, i am going to still consider it as an option.
I have the 233/239 in my car, and it is about the biggest i would want for a dd. The lobes are not too hard on the parts like some of the lobes out there and the cam has very good PTV (piston to valve) clearance. Which is good for now and down the road if you run different heads.

I suggest calling EPS (Engine Power Systems) and taking to the owner he is a very helpful and knowledgeable guy to talk to, and make sure you order one of his cams when you do.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

yeah...i'm definately considering a cumstom grind cam now....but i was just doing the math and i think i might be better off just waiting a while longer and going with a TSP H/C package....i think it would be cheaper in the long run if i ever did decide to do heads as well....i just don't know yet...

thanks for all the input guys.....as far as the TSP cams are concerned i'm still not quite sure which i would go with (if i went that route). the 233/239 or V2.....both are nice....it's a tough decision....lol....