Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Mileage on an 04 GTO

Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mileage on an 04 GTO

Thinking about replacing my 04 Comp G Grand Prix (almost 138K) with a 04 Goat. Found one with 72,000 miles on it and I was wondering if these cars are good for 100K plus or if there are any "look outs" for one with that mileage. The car I'm looking at has never been modded and I don't plan on modding it either, just using it for a daily driver while I finish my Vette and Camaro. Or would I be better off spending a couple grand more and getting one with around 50K on it? Don't know much about these cars so I thought I'd come over here and ask the guys who own 'em.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 04 when it had 72k. I beat the crap out of it and it had full exhaust and tune. Also ran a 100 shot at one point. Never burned oil, never had a problem. Oh wait I did have to replace the gas cap @30k miles lol.

I would say if it has been maintained well you should be good to go. Mileage is important, but...you might find one with 75k highway miles and one with 40k beat to hell miles. The stock suspension will be shot however. There are some deals to be had out there for sure.

Something like this would give you no problems even with the mileage I would say. Assuming it is as nice as it looks to be. Just an example.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, that looks nice. Went to look at the one I wrote about in the original post and when I looked at the CarFax it showed an accident with air bag deployment, so I will keep looking. There seems to be alot of good deals on 04's, newer ones seem to take a big jump up in price. I'm assuming due to the LS2.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I guess, that and the more aggressive styling with the exhaust and hood. I mean every now and then you will come across a deal on an 05 with decent mileage for 14-15k but a lot of times you gotta make a trip. I bought my 05 last November with 25k miles for 15k and sold it at the end of May for 15k with 32k miles. Around the time I was looking for that car I'd found a Pulse Red 04 in Michigan with like 20,000 miles asking 13k. So deals can be had.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 105K on mine now and haven't had any issues that weren't caused by me driving like a jackass besides a BCM failure at 50K or so. This car has been the best car in terms of maintenance ever for me. If I had left her alone and not modded/raced the **** out of it she'd probably have never given me one of the issues I've had with it.

Having said that. At 105K with a lot of miles on some mildly worked 243 heads and a medium sized cam she is still running perfect with no oil burning or issues. The tranny is just now starting to grind every now and then and I have beat the **** out of it. Replaced the stock diff at about 80K when it started to whine. Replaced a driveshaft when the ujoint started to get loose. Replaced the whole suspension because I wanted to. CD player went bad shortly after my B&M shifter broke on a 2-3 shift and I punched it, got that replaced and then put a GMM in it. BCM went bad, pretty much out of the blue, no issues since its replacement. Last time I went through emissions the guy stripped my gas cap so at about 102K I had to replace that.....

Thats all I can think of....everytime something went bad I replaced it with something better
Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Here is the one I am going to look at tomorrow. Looks okay, don't care for the wheels though. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/1833546647.html
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...873321422.html
buy my gto!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kornerz
I live in MI, but I always thought it would be cool to fly in and buy a car and drive home cross country, but for the next couple of weeks I'm too busy. Who knows if my car sells, I get some **** taken care of and if you still have it then maybe? Your car is pretty much just what I'm looking for. I see the tranny was rebuilt, is it an auto or a stick? What happened to it?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Revson
I live in MI, but I always thought it would be cool to fly in and buy a car and drive home cross country, but for the next couple of weeks I'm too busy. Who knows if my car sells, I get some **** taken care of and if you still have it then maybe? Your car is pretty much just what I'm looking for. I see the tranny was rebuilt, is it an auto or a stick? What happened to it?
its an auto, 3rd started to slip. it was still under the extended warranty so it was covered
Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im in the same boat as you OP. I was looking into another f-body for a dd but started noticing the deals on 04 gto's.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Mine has over 110k, runs like a champ.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Teching In

A common issue with these cars is "strut rub". Check the inside of the front tires for signs of wear. OEM springs are weak as well. I replaced a lot of suspension parts after I found that the left front tire had been severley compromised due to rubbing the strut.

I have heard a lot about ignition cylinder lock-up as well. However, I have yet to experience that issue.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Teching In

I bought my car for 14k and replaced all the shocks/struts, springs, strut mounts/bearings, Radius rod bushings, and some poly bushings here and there. It handles a **** load better but it rides pretty rough now.

Strut mounts and bearings, radius rod bushings, and rear springs are the big wear items for the suspension. After 20-30k miles they're are pretty much toast.

Also, water pumps and the stock radiator are known to commonly fail also. My coolant is low now and I keep smelling antifreeze so I know it's one or the other.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

I bought mine with 80k on it bone stock, about a month later the trans started having probs so I had a full drag trans built with converter. Then installed a set of long tubes and exhaust and then later a cam with tune. The car just turned 108k and it runs consistant 12.40's at the track and every person who rides in the car says there is NO way this car has 108k on it as it does still runs and pulls super hard.

In my opinion I would just look for something with a good service history and have fun with it. They are a lot of car for not a lot of money and super easy to work on yourself.

Go for it!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice, I haven't bought one yet. I looked at the one I first posted about, but the guy wasn't willing to deal, well now it's Sept. and they still have it sitting on the lot so I think I'll go back and talk to them again. Tomorrow I am going to go look at one with 93K miles on it, really more miles than I wanted and it's silver, which wouldn't be my first choice either, but the price is pretty low so I thought I'd take a look.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

I have 105k+ on mine. Still putting over 400rwhp and wins me a lot of races. 26mpg highway too. I love my goat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage on an 04 GTO