Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

some questions about clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions about clear coat

circling the antenna the clear coat is peeling off.

would i just need to re apply clear coat to the whole quarter panel? or does it have to be painted again. car is white if that means anything at all.

additionally in the future i planned on taking the antenna off and hiding it. i was thinking of where the spare tire is.

when thats the case and the hole is filled in and painted, would it look different for the rest of the panel?

i figured i might as well do 2 birds with one stone.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok lots of info. If you just want to clear the current damage, go light on the spray and blend it into the panel about 4-6inchs in a circle from damage. ofcourse you will need to scuff area first. As far as removing antena and filling. Best thing to do is weld a patch panel, level, fill, seal, prime, paint, blend clear. Lots of steps when smoothing an area.
You can also hit the inside with 80 grit and lay a fiberglss patch inside and fill, level, seal, prime, paint, blend, clear the outside. General rule when using fillers is go 2-3x the damaged area. So if you have a damaged spot that is an inch, spread the fill 3-4 inchs out.

If you want to pm me for specifics you are more than welcome to. There really is a lot of info for the smoothing part.