Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should headers be my next mod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should headers be my next mod?

Well I'd like to start of by saying my eventual goal is a 400rwhp vehicle... that I can drive to the office, take on short road trips, and take to the track.

So far I've done a swap to 243 heads, and an LS6 intake. My next mod is either a cam or headers.
What kind of gains do we see from headers on these cars? I know the stock manifolds are pretty good.

A cam would be cheaper for me to do because I could do it myself, I'd need a shop to do the headers... is the money worth it?

Last edited by IRONFIST; 08-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should definitely get headers before a cam. Headers usually net about a 10-15 hp gain. Why can't you put headers on yourself?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers produce good gains on stock/bolt-on engines, and they just get better when you start modding the internals.

If you can do the cam yourself, why wouldn't you be able to do the headers? It's a pretty simple swap, and if you can do heads and cam work, I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to handle.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea u should definitely do headers before a cam. And if u can tackle a camand head swap I dont see why u wouldnt b able to do a header swap. Its fairly simple in comparison plus u wont see full gains from other mods ie. heads/cam without headers. Make sure u get longtubes....my 2 cents
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colby72olds
You should definitely get headers before a cam. Headers usually net about a 10-15 hp gain. Why can't you put headers on yourself?
Just from looking under the hood... I'd think I'd need a lift to do the headers right? Or is it possible to jack the car up / put it on stands and get the headers in there?

You guys have already convinced me...
I'll have to start doing some research into what ones I want now.

I have all the shop tools, just no shop anymore...
Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Get the 1 7/8"s American Racing Headers. You will not be disappointed, i used to have SLP headers and they were WAY simplier to install and made approx. 5 more HP's at the wheels alone.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes, get LTs next. ARHs
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doing headers is pretty simple. I just did mine last year. Just jack up the car and throw some jack stands underneath. The two hardest parts for me were taking out the old rusted hardware. I sprayed all the stock exhaust bolts with penetrating lube and it helped a lot. I had to put a wrench on the ratchet for a couple of them to get more leverage. Even had a couple bolts break which doesn't matter, the old exhaust is junk anyway. Then lower down the stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe. For installation the passenger side header slides up fairly easy, for the driver's side most people have to do one of two things. Either grind off the engine block tab or undo the steering knuckle. I don't have a grinder so I undid the steering knuckle. Either way should only take about 5 minutes.

The next hardest part for me was getting the y-pipe angles right so they tuck up underneath the body. It can be frustrating but if you just take your time you will figure it out.

I was going to buy american racing headers but I couldn't bring myself to spend almost $1500 on a set of headers. I ended up going with Texas-speed for a pair of Pacesetter coated headers. I was very impressed with the fitment/quality. I've had them for a year and they still look like I just took them out of the box. I always get compliments on how shiney they are. And it was only $798 for the headers, catted y-pipe, all install hardware, plug and play 02 sensors, and shipping. It will even be a few hundred cheaper if you get an off road y-pipe.

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 08-04-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

definetly put some headers on as your next mod. Its money well spent.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to dissent from the masses, but before you start on headers, be sure to get a good look at your exhaust system. I was unpleasantly surprised that most of my entire exhaust system was welded except where the JBA shorties flanged to the Y-pipe. That meant that my cat-back system was more or less worthless since it was entirely welded into place with 2.5" pipe. It also meant I had to hack apart pipes to get it out and then had to replace from the headers all the way back. That could have greatly increased by build cost had I not gone TSP duals and dumped at the axle.

Find out what your budget is and how quickly you'd like to get the work done, then decide.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Nope, should be your first. Actually I can't back that up...

More exhaust doesn't hurt...ever! I think exhaust is more of a multiplier than anything else. They are much better than they used to be, but if you start to pump up the HP you need to free up the exhaust flow.