Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric water pump daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric water pump daily driver ?

Anyone useing an electric pump on a daily driver. I'm going to have to change mine and thought why not get a few extra hp and maybee some gas mileage with and electric one. whats the down side?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM

I ran one for a long time on a daily driver with no problem. Had some friends that either had failed relays, blown fuses, or just a dead motor and they all popped head gaskets before they realized the pump was not running.

These motors do not go a long way with absolutely no water flow.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learn to watch your Water Temp Gauge.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

ok so blown head gasket sounds like its not worth it. Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
ok so blown head gasket sounds like its not worth it. Thanks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ng-strong.html

I have a hard time thinking I could not notice my engine overheating to the point of blowing my head gasket before realizing it.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

i agree with conor..How is it you dont casualy look at your guages? I know of a couple guys that are running them now with no problem..
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conor.davis
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ng-strong.html

I have a hard time thinking I could not notice my engine overheating to the point of blowing my head gasket before realizing it.
No joke, I noticed my temp gauge was going up when it was barely over the 210 mark and realized something was wrong. Ended up being one of the main hoses that goes to the radiator popping off. IMO this is one of the few cars that actually comes with functioning gauges, not to mention having all the important ones instead of just temp and oil, so why not use them or look at them regularly?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS.666
Learn to watch your Water Temp Gauge.
What he said!

I have seen people hook up oil psi and water temp to bright lights hidden in ac vents He said it saved his *** when his water pump went out! Had it set on a temp settings and if it got above it the light would come on. He was cruising and saw a bright *** light come on so he killed the motor as soon as he saw it!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only real problem I've had with mine in the 3 or so years I've had it was a failed relay - I watch my gauges like a hawk, so when it started climbing over what it normally reads, I shut it down. The relay I was using got hot enough to deform the plastic - this time around, I bought a 60-amp relay and so far have had no other issues.

I will mention that, at first, I was having problems with the EWP leaking out of the weep hole (visible on the timing cover). It took a couple times of ripping it off and sending it back to them (I only had to cover the shipping to them) before it was finally fixed, but after that, it has worked flawlessly.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

I don't have a problem watching the gauges . I do that anyway. It just seems like more of a hassle. Needing a spare laying around and there is more than one way for them to fail. Electrical problem , fuses , relays all stuff I never really thought of. I like more power and gas milage because I have a long commute. I'm on the fence rite now. I guess I just have to keep the AAA card handy If I get one. The spare is what kills me . 6 bills is alot of money to have tied up in a spare part just in case it fails.

Last edited by droptopcamaross; 08-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

how many miles have people put on theirs?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a system setup on where if the pump does not have power going to it. A buzzer will go off in the car. And I am the 3rd owner of this pump. Its still running strong.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
What he said!

I have seen people hook up oil psi and water temp to bright lights hidden in ac vents He said it saved his *** when his water pump went out! Had it set on a temp settings and if it got above it the light would come on. He was cruising and saw a bright *** light come on so he killed the motor as soon as he saw it!
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing if i ever got a electric water pump. Although i'm always watching the gauges like some one mentioned these cars actually come with useful ones...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm gonna do it. Not going to buy a spare. The warranty would be running out while its sitting around doing nothing. I think its 2 years replacement so I'll deal with the down time if it fails. Sumitt is usually only 1 day shipping when I order from them anyway. Hooking up a fail safe light like the ones suggested.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your not really going to see any mpg increase specifically from the ewp.. maybe some mpg you lost due to reduced cooling from the system as a whole... the ewp will definitely lower your temps though.. it is a good investment if you have the money.. looks great too.. I need to get one still
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

I've had mine 5 years on two motors. Around 35,000 miles. It's worked perfect.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Spoke with Greg @ Anti Venoom in Tampa which is were I think I'm going to take my car. He said electric water pump on Ls1 is 12 hp gain. Had on on his personal car got stranded once but if he had fuses with him he would have been ok. Don't know why the blow fuses so often never had any blow on my car but that was his only problem in 5 yrs.

Last edited by droptopcamaross; 08-15-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a csr on my old lt1 and im about to put a meziere on my current build; does anyone have a writeup for the failsafe? Ill be running an interceptor gauge with an annunciator thatll go off if it gets hot (or if i lose oil pressure), but id like to have a separate OH **** light..
Old 08-15-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are going to spend the time and money to do an ewp then have a decent gauge installed as well. I will go this route eventually when I do a cam swap. There are always those that have luck, and those that don't. Nature of the game.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
Spoke with Greg @ Anti Venoom in Tampa which is were I think I'm going to take my car. He said electric water pump on Ls1 is 12 hp gain. Had on on his personal car got stranded once but if he had fuses with him he would have been ok. Don't know why the blow fuses so often never had any blow on my car but that was his only proble in 5 yrs.
don't expect at all to make 12hp from the ewp.. or even 1hp.. there have been countless times people have installed these and no power increase resulted.. its not meant to build power, rather reduce parasitic loss in the drive belt and increased cooling for the motor..

Quick Reply: electric water pump daily driver ?