Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this a good setup or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a good setup or not?

i have a 6.0 bored .030 over with flat top pistons. i plan on adding my own 5.3 ported and polished heads (stock 1.95 valves )with a TR230 and at least a 100 shot i was wondering if the tr230 cam is good for my setup or do i have to go with a bigger cam? i plan on staying with stock gears (3.42) and an A4 with a 3400 stall
Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

you might want to consider a custom cam to get the most out of you setup, and without flow figures on the heads or your goals from the car its hard to give an exact answer.
Also stock gears for an A4 is either 2.73 or 3.23.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

Unless you really know what you're doing when it comes to porting heads having a machine shop set you up for 2.02 intake valves with a good valve job will get you more power.

If the heads are already ported by someone that knows what they are doing going to a larger intake valve would still be a VERY good idea.

I'm assuming an M6 car so make sure you're driveline can handle what you're going to do first. If it breaks or can't hook the power what good is it?

EDIT: I saw you say stock gears (3.42) and quit reading.... If you have an aluminum driveshaft on an auto car you probably have 3.23. I think the code is GU5 or 3.23. If not you have 2.73 in which case that's terrible. The 3.23 gears took me into the 10's with a TCI SSF3500 an NX wet kit and bolt ons... The 3.23 gears are FINE.

Last edited by Cheatin' Chad; 08-06-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wysemunky
you might want to consider a custom cam to get the most out of you setup, and without flow figures on the heads or your goals from the car its hard to give an exact answer.
Also stock gears for an A4 is either 2.73 or 3.23.
like said up here, the stock gears are either the 2.73 or 3.23's depending on the year F-body. IIR the prior 98-99 were 2.73 for most of them, but it should have a code in the glove box for your car. Anyways, I'd prefer you to go for the ported 243's at least for a larger cubic inch motor and mill them for compression. You'll want better airflow for the bigger motor so it can breathe. A custom grind is always best, but it really depends on the goals of the car. You want a track car, do a stroker cam with a 4500 or higher stall and at least 3.73 gears. For street cars, you can go with a milder set-up.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

A custom grind is not always best. So many people are doing recipe builds the shelf cams are best because that what they are designed for.... If he was doing something wacky yeah get a custom grind... He's doing something that's been done hundreds of times and if we knew his goals we could tell him if the TR230 was good or not.

Bottom line? Call a reputable vendor and tell them what you want and listen to them. Call Thunder Racing and talk to someone....

Also, have a CLEAR goal in mind before you even think about buying anything. Without a goal you will never be happy. Don't just say as much HP as possible!!!^@%$*****!!!

I mean: decide if you want to run 11's on motor or make 430rwhp. Something! Have a goal and work towards that...
Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

ok 323 gears i have and can i get some more answers not just guys arguing on other stuff? THANKS.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Is the TR230 good for what? Running 13s? 10s? roadracing? Standing mile?

Seriously man

Thats like saying Im looking at a 2300sq ft house is this good or should I get a 4000sq ft house?

You'd need to know if I am alone,have a family,etc.

Re-read this:
Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Also, have a CLEAR goal in mind before you even think about buying anything. Without a goal you will never be happy. Don't just say as much HP as possible!!!^@%$*****!!!

I mean: decide if you want to run 11's on motor or make 430rwhp. Something! Have a goal and work towards that...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A custom grind is not always best. So many people are doing recipe builds the shelf cams are best because that what they are designed for.... If he was doing something wacky yeah get a custom grind... He's doing something that's been done hundreds of times and if we knew his goals we could tell him if the TR230 was good or not.

i couldnt agree with you anymore man!! too many people on here are on the whole custom cam is better BS..that is not always the case. a good majority of people on this site damn near all want the same wants.. i want to make X amount of hp, a cam not too big, my car is just a DD, hardly will see track etc..etc.. sponsors on this site get calls about the same wants 100x a day i bet.

its easier and less brainwork to pick a proven off the shelf cam and see the results compared to a custom cam. i agree if your car was strictly an all out drag car or something, then yes i would go with a custom. if custom cam was that much better everybody would be running the same custom cam..LMAO.. remember just keep it simple!! too many times people on here over complicate there setup when they initally wanted something simple to begin with.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Is the TR230 good for what? Running 13s? 10s? roadracing? Standing mile?

Seriously man

Thats like saying Im looking at a 2300sq ft house is this good or should I get a 4000sq ft house?

You'd need to know if I am alone,have a family,etc.

Re-read this:
good reply bro! its going to be driven on the street and on the track, id like to run 11's all motor but i duno....
Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

That cam will be fine then and you really should get a good valve job on those heads before bolting them to that block. you have a 4.030 bore don't waste it by keeping the small valves in there.

The key to this will be can you hook it? What converter exactly? There could be a half second difference between two converters rated at a 3400rpm stall speed. What brand and model?