Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

monster clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default monster clutch ?

I got a monster clutch and pressure plate from my friend out of his ls3 vette, im gonna put it in my ls1 camaro, but not sure which flywheel i should run, cause he needed to keep his, do i need an ls1, ls2, ls3, or ls7 flywheel, or do i have to run a monster specific flywheel

im pretty sure the ls3 and ls7 are the same

thanks
Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

nobody knows, c'mon i need to swap my spec 3+ out asap cause its slipping bad and im strapped for cash after this turbo build lol
Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Monster, they always sell their's as a kit. Their flywheel to their PP plate, and disc.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I've got a re-surfaced billet steel flywheel (same one they sell with their kits) for $150 shipped.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TDP
I've got a re-surfaced billet steel flywheel (same one they sell with their kits) for $150 shipped.
It is not the same one we sell, unless it's engraved Monster on the back.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
It is not the same one we sell, unless it's engraved Monster on the back.
I've got one of those as well, but it still needs to be resurfaced. I just checked and the one that I have for sale is actually a Centerforce flywheel, so I stand corrected. However, its the same weight 29lbs (I weighed both of them on my shipping scale). The Centerforce is comprised of nickel-steel. Aren't the Monster flywheels Carbon steel 1045 ?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TDP
I've got one of those as well, but it still needs to be resurfaced. I just checked and the one that I have for sale is actually a Centerforce flywheel, so I stand corrected. However, its the same weight 29lbs (I weighed both of them on my shipping scale). The Centerforce is comprised of nickel-steel. Aren't the Monster flywheels Carbon steel 1045 ?
Our flywheels are actually 27.75lbs on a certified scale.

They are made of certified billet 1045 steel which is designed to take extreme abuse in these situations. If you are that curious I will get the certifications for the material from our engineers and let you know exactly what it's made of.

And just an FYI, Centerforces flywheels are made from 1045 billet steel, NOT nickel-steel.

If you are insinuating that our flywheels are made from "chinese" material I will tell you that you are wrong. We buy U.S. steel and have them cnc machined at a shop in Texas, they are far superior to others on the market.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are made of certified billet 1045 steel which is designed to take extreme abuse in these situations. If you are that curious I will get the certifications for the material from our engineers and let you know exactly what it's made of.
You have a Engineer in house?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sam88Gta1
You have a Engineer in house?
No, the engineer that did the work on our flywheels is out of state. I've sent him an email and am waiting for his response. Steve has the info on his computer but he's at the new shop getting it ready for us to move in.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

We sell these units...they are badass. Why not use a FW that is designed for use with that specific clutch and PP?? Don't be silly- use the right parts!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Our flywheels are actually 27.75lbs on a certified scale.

And just an FYI, Centerforces flywheels are made from 1045 billet steel, NOT nickel-steel.

If you are insinuating that our flywheels are made from "chinese" material I will tell you that you are wrong. We buy U.S. steel and have them cnc machined at a shop in Texas, they are far superior to others on the market.
Hey I never insinuated anything Touchy subject I guess...
As a matter of fact 1045 is not made to handle high amounts of heat. It is not superior to anything, as its just about the lowest grade of metal you can use for a flywheel. Here is why...

The 1045 designation is simply regular old steel, aka "screw stock" (10) with 0.45% (45) carbon content, which makes is a really hard steel.This is good as long as the flywheel is thick enough to handle all the heat. Guess that's why it is 4.75lbs heavier than a stock flywheel. Nickel content actually increases the steel's ability to handle heat. The Centerforce flywheel is actually 2xxx designation, not 1045. The 2xxx series of steel designates nickel-steel. I use 4140 chromoly [(41) chromoly, and (40) is .40% carbon] for everything as it is designed to resist high amounts of heat. If you don't believe me, then do some reading up on this subject and you will find out that its true. Railroad tracks are made of a chromium steel as well, so that should tell you something. I would have thought your "engineers" would already know this, though...
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

I am the engineer at Gforce Engineering and i also own the company.
We do the design work on the Monster flywheels and also handle the cnc production, surface grinding and material selection.
They are indeed made from 1045 steel.
1045 works great for flywheels.
We don't like using chromium based steels (41xx) as they are terrible about warping. We don't even use chromoly based materials for the axles we make as we've had problems with warpage in heat treating many times.
We could make the flywheels out of another higher grade of steel such as 4340 but it would only drive the cost up with no real benefit.
Testing in the real world is really the best way to design parts. We've made 1,000's of these flywheels and there have been very few problems with warpage or defects.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

My engineer will be replying in this thread shortly. Not a touchy subject. We've proven time and time again that our flywheels work with well over 3,000 units sold.

I would think that you'd be out trying to prove your products rather than disprove ours.

For the record, I just called Centerforce and they verified that their flywheels are 1045.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GFORCE1320
I am the engineer at Gforce Engineering and i also own the company.
We do the design work on the Monster flywheels and also handle the cnc production, surface grinding and material selection.
They are indeed made from 1045 steel.
1045 works great for flywheels.
We don't like using chromium based steels (41xx) as they are terrible about warping. We don't even use chromoly based materials for the axles we make as we've had problems with warpage in heat treating many times.
We could make the flywheels out of another higher grade of steel such as 4340 but it would only drive the cost up with no real benefit.
Testing in the real world is really the best way to design parts. We've made 1,000's of these flywheels and there have been very few problems with warpage or defects.

Thanks
Chris
I am the engineer behind all of my own products, and have spent countless hours studying/testing various types of metals for flywheels. I found that a chromium based material is the best to use as it is designed specifically for handling large amounts of heat. I've have zero comebacks with the 4140 steel flywheels. Sure, I could use 4340, but like you said, it would cost more. The only difference is that the 43 has nickel and 41 does not. Not a big deal, as 4140 is an overkill, at any rate. I really like the material due to the strength, heat handling ability, and light weight.Quite honestly, I don't see how anything could be better.
I also don't see how you guys had problems with chromoly warping. I have never had a single problem with that issue. It is a major factor, especially with the lightweight flywheel having to be so thin. In order for such a metal to warp, it would need to be red hot, which would be really hard to do (even you you were trying to overheat the clutch). Again, I've never had a problem with it. Granted chromoly is much more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks

Last edited by TDP; 08-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

My engineer will be replying in this thread shortly. Not a touchy subject. We've proven time and time again that our flywheels work with well over 3,000 units sold.

I would think that you'd be out trying to prove your products rather than disprove ours.

For the record, I just called Centerforce and they verified that their flywheels are 1045.
Not trying to disprove anything. Just relaying some facts, since you stated that your flywheels are superior to any others. I've actually studied this stuff to gain an understanding of how it all works together, instead of relying on an outside engineer.
Centerforce told me their flywheels were 2635 or 26xx, not sure on the carbon content. Guess that guy was wrong. No big deal. I'll just stick to what I have had success with. That's what makes every company different.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:48 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Camaro383
I got a monster clutch and pressure plate from my friend out of his ls3 vette, im gonna put it in my ls1 Camaro, but not sure which flywheel i should run, cause he needed to keep his, do i need an ls1, ls2, ls3, or ls7 flywheel, or do i have to run a monster specific flywheel

im pretty sure the ls3 and ls7 are the same

thanks
To the OP, guess we figured out that the Centerforce is very similar to the Monster flywheel, lol. I can guarantee you that it will work. Just let me know if you want to buy it.
Just trying to clean up the shop and get rid of crap that has been sitting around.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Default Thoughts...

The greatest issue associated with Chromium based materials is that they are often over-machined, in an effort to achieve a lower weight. As a result, the thinner final product will have a greater potential for deformation/warping relative to heat. For this reason we also use High-carbon Steel (1045/1050) when manufacturing. This isn't to say that Chromium materials are bad; it just means that insuring that there is enough thickness to handle the applied usage is important.

Additionally, it is worth noting that materials are important but so too are other factors like the quality of the machining and the adherence to set tolerances. It's a pretty bold statement to say that your flywheel is "far superior to others on the market". Though it is certain that there will be bias relative to the parts that you are directly, and or indirectly, responsible for how exactly are you quantifying this statement? For instance, we build to a .001" machine tolerance and this far exceeds anything else I have seen from other manufactures.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

<In for the good technical information and the somewhat heated discussion.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
To the OP, guess we figured out that the Centerforce is very similar to the Monster flywheel, lol. I can guarantee you that it will work. Just let me know if you want to buy it.
Just trying to clean up the shop and get rid of crap that has been sitting around.
Why would you want to sell anyone "crap"? I thought this was a discussion about why people use higher quality?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
I have a spec 3+ inthere right now with their flywheel, which i believe is billet, but i think it is 11", correct?
and the monster is a 12" disk?

Quick Reply: monster clutch ?