Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Bolt-on's Void the Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Bolt-on's Void the Warranty

I was just wondering what does and does not Void your Warranty ?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your dealer. Some dealers don't mind mods; others look for any technicality to get out of warranty service. You should know the law is that the modification has to CAUSE the failure for warranty service to be denied. That's the Magnuson-Moss Act, I think it's called.

If you're very concerned about warranty, all you could do is cosmetic stuff, maybe some suspension mods, and maybe a cat-back. Some sure-fire ways of voiding the warranty would be forced induction, long-tubes, a tune, gears, cam, and sometimes CAI.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

ive been in my dealer with full bolt ons and a tune and i told them straight up. they didnt have a problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Were i bought mine they said there was no problem but i have heard it depends on the dealership.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

nothing voids the warrany unless they can prove the that "mod" caused the problem.. if it did not cause the problem they have to fix it.....
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what i like to hear.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by najaf4life
nothing voids the warrany unless they can prove the that "mod" caused the problem.. if it did not cause the problem they have to fix it.....
this is correct.

with my SS the dealer was cool. my friend knew the service mngr and i always got hooked up. new DS, REAR. tons of small stuff no questions asked.

with my GTO that serv mngr was a JO and tried to void my warranty over a CAI which is horseshit.

with GMs situation right now id be careful. it seems theyre looking for anything to void a warranty. a guy i was talking to with a TBSS got his warranty voided because it was tuned.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I would believe that the more you modify the car- the better chance that it will be driven hard, and that parts may break out of abuse..
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by najaf4life
While that may sound good the reality is most bolt ons will ultimately require some sort of tune in order to get the most out of them. The tune alone could void the warranty. I'd talk to your dealer and do a little research first.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

A tune can not void your entire warranty. If you had a tune then the dealer could void portions of the Power train warranty I.E.-engine, tranny, etc... But if you had a strut crap out then they would have to repair it under warranty because a tune isn't gonna effect a strut, etc. But even then like most people have said it depends on the dealer and who works there. I would shop around different dealers around you service departments and ask the service manager himself about mods and his dealerships view on it. You always need one service department you like and if you move you find another. It's like a doctor for you. Hell the dealer I use for service I would never buy a car from because I hate there way of business, but my service needs would always go to them.
Tate

Quick Reply: What Bolt-on's Void the Warranty