Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently I'm getting too old or something... My exhaust is WAY too loud.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Apparently I'm getting too old or something... My exhaust is WAY too loud.

So I just installed, LT's and TSP duals with Sweet Thunders and holy god... loud as all hell. Funny thing is on my old red T/A I had LT's and TSP duals with Dynomax Bullets and it didn't bother me at all, didn't seem overly loud or anything. That was about 3 or 4 years ago...

But this son of a bitch is ridiculous, maybe I'm getting old or something (25 )... I don't know but I've got to quiet this thing down. It's not even fun to drive at the moment. What's weird about it is that you can make it VERY tame, like I could not get pulled over by the cops in our small Mayberry town who traditionally pull people for anything they can find... They get bored... But when you give it throttle... Completely different story.

So I want to run it under the axle and out the back, I'm thinking about putting another set of mufflers or something downstream from the ST's and then out the back.

What do you guys think would be a good choice?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since you're putting on another set of mufflers, you don't want very restrictive ones. Maybe dynomax bullets, I think they're some of the freest flowing mufflers. I know they're loud, but seeing as how they're a 2nd pair of mufflers it might still quiet it down enough.

What length Sweet Thunders does TSP send with their x-pipe? I just bought a pair of 30" stainless sweet thunders to replace my LPP mufflers, and I'm hoping they resonate less. After a 1 1/2 hour drive home from the drag strip last night, my ears hurt slightly when I got home, so I too need to quiet it down. It isn't really excessively loud, it's just the frequency it resonates at somehow hurts my ears.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by X-ray
Well since you're putting on another set of mufflers, you don't want very restrictive ones. Maybe dynomax bullets, I think they're some of the freest flowing mufflers. I know they're loud, but seeing as how they're a 2nd pair of mufflers it might still quiet it down enough.

What length Sweet Thunders does TSP send with their x-pipe? I just bought a pair of 30" stainless sweet thunders to replace my LPP mufflers, and I'm hoping they resonate less. After a 1 1/2 hour drive home from the drag strip last night, my ears hurt slightly when I got home, so I too need to quiet it down. It isn't really excessively loud, it's just the frequency it resonates at somehow hurts my ears.
Yeah, mine don't really resonate at all. The sound/tone of the exhaust is awesome... The volume, eh, not so much.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think your getting old I just think your becoming considerate
Old 08-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put LT, tsp uncatted y with LM1 and it sucked.

Sounded ok at idle but at wot it sounded like ***. Complete horrible barked and resonated so much it was gross. I didnt even have a good accelaration sound to it.

I ripped th LM1 out and put a magnaflow in its place. It was 20" long so i had to trim and 1inch off of each side to get it right no biggie. It sounds a lil better now. But when you punch it still kinda sounds like ***.

Barks and resonates at wot.

I really do not like it at all.

saving for a flowmaster cat back exhuast to hook up to the set up.

Hopefully that will sound a lil better at wot.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Yeah, mine don't really resonate at all. The sound/tone of the exhaust is awesome... The volume, eh, not so much.
Do you know what length they are? Sweet thunder sells 18, 24, and 30"
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ no I'm not sure on the length. I would guess 24 though by looking at it.

So, I was thinking about putting in either a set of dynomax bullets, moroso spiral flows or even summit sells a set of it's own glasspack mufflers. I would install them after the Sweet thunders, before the tips... How do you guys think this would sound? Has anyone done this?

Honestly, I was out driving the car last night and it's giving me an old farm truck impression under intermediate throttle load. Granted the car is an automatic so it's got that weird "in between" place where the engine won't downshift, it'll just bog, but it still is less than stellar for sound...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Flowmaster also has the HP-2 mufflers.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

so how do the sweet thunders sound quality wise though? Im not worried about being to loud, just looking for a nice tone.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Im seeling the catback system out of my car.

It is a SLP LM1 rear setup with a maganaflow muffler in place of resonator with quad tips.

Moving to another set up.

Looking to get 325.00 for the setup it is in really good condition. Magnaflow muffler is brand new.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wfritts911
so how do the sweet thunders sound quality wise though? Im not worried about being to loud, just looking for a nice tone.
Sound quality is pretty good.