Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can a damaged IAT sensor affect on an LS1 Camaro/Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What can a damaged IAT sensor affect on an LS1 Camaro/Trans Am?

Back when I put my IAT sensor into my slp lid during the swap, I broke off the little piece that covers the sensor itself. Like the little open cross that goes over it. At first when I did it I thought that obviously since those little plastic bars aren't there that the sensor would pick up a lot more air flow.

I said **** it, finished putting the sensor in since it came off when I had finally finished putting it into the new lid, and then took the car for a quick drive, and intended to end the drive at the dealership to just pick the two pieces up real quick(rubber grommet, and new sensor)

During the drive, I noticed the car had gained a little power which I expected from the lid, no error code came up or anything, car ran as smooth as it always did and literally drove the same except with a minor increase in power that was expected.

I just remembered about it this morning while browsing ls1tech, and figured I might as well be safe than sorry and was gonna go to the dealership to pick up a new sensor to just swap it in, but remembered the parts department is closed sundays so I'll be waiting till monday morning.

So I figured while I have to wait a day, I would ask what the negative effects could be from the sensor being like that like power loss or anything?

Other than it backfiring letting off in higher rpm in 2nd gear every great once in a while, it drives exactly the same as it did when I first got it, and the only reason I didn't pay that any attention is because 3 out of my 4 friends with fbodies have the same issue, and they've never touched their IAT sensors.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back fires? It should not back fire. I guess if the sensor case is broke, the parts in the sensor could come loose and the enigne would have a nice little snack. Expectially if a back fire nocks the rest of the sensor parts loose. You have no idea if it is working right, but I would not expect normal driving to hurt the engine until the sensor is replaced. Personaly I would take the sensor out for fear of digesting parts of it, plug the hold and leave it disconected until you get a new one. I am sure you will have a code. Just do not hot rod it like that.

I also would investigate the cause of the backfire. I would not expect a backfire to develope due to a IAT sensor. I guess it could be possible but I just do not see how.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Launching!

When I say backfire, I don't mean an all out BANG. And when I said it occasionally happens, I mean occasionally as in the 4 months I've had the car, it's done it 3 times from what I can remember. I'm just listing them to have everything out in the open.

I'll be picking up the sensor tomorrow so it doesn't matter. Thanks for the answer.

Quick question, what exactly could come off the sensor to fall into the engine like you mentioned? All that's in there from what I can tell is the sensor itself, which is jammed into the grommet and the housing itself. No other actual parts to come out.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on wich side is broken. If it is the side that goes into the air stream, I think there are some fine wires on the inside. I doubt it would come apart, well, with my luck it would.

Sounds like your car might need a tune. What other mods have you done to it?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Launching!

I was already planning on getting it tuned once I get the LS6 intake and headers here.

As it is now, all it's got is what it came with: 3 inch borla adjustable catback with the 2nd smallest plate, and slp lid.

Has suspension work, and a z06 clutch, but the above are the only power modifications
Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is poping in the exhaust it is probably due to the Borla, I bet a tune will fix that. A tune would help your combo work better but if you are going to change out the intake soon, I am with you and just wait until you have it completed. Most tuners will do a re-tune for you but they usually charge for the dyno time again. I doubt you are going to hurt anything until then. Have fun!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Alright, thanks a lot. Appreciate the info.

Quick Reply: What can a damaged IAT sensor affect on an LS1 Camaro/Trans Am?