LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please share your tips for checking out a 95 LT1 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Please share your tips for checking out a 95 LT1 Z28

Please share your tips for checking out 95 LT1 Z28.

A friend want's me to go along to check the car out. Other than the obvious stuff, like oil, tranny fluid, tires etc are there any specific things, I need to be on the look out for with a 95 Z28?

Thank you
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check how many miles, if its over 100K with original opti and fuel pump you'll need to replace it soon. Listen for rear gear noise's and check brake pad wear.

The Air pump hose to the check valve always cracks and leaks, if he has engine work done listen to rockers and any ticking sounds or rod noise spun bearing. Check oil leak rear of intake manifold, and water pump/coolant leak near opti.

I would also check if it has rust underneath, on most of our cars the dash always cracks and center console lid beaks. if its power windows check them if they are working properly and all the exterior lights.

Find out what mods are done to the car.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Car has 94,000 miles - No mod's per owner
Old 08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a auto ? If it is drive it get it to shift into third while flooring it the guy got me on mine I got it to about 65 and let off then third and fourth went out lol
Old 08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1
check how many miles, if its over 100K with original opti and fuel pump you'll need to replace it soon. Listen for rear gear noise's and check brake pad wear.

The Air pump hose to the check valve always cracks and leaks, if he has engine work done listen to rockers and any ticking sounds or rod noise spun bearing. Check oil leak rear of intake manifold, and water pump/coolant leak near opti.

I would also check if it has rust underneath, on most of our cars the dash always cracks and center console lid beaks. if its power windows check them if they are working properly and all the exterior lights.

Find out what mods are done to the car.
damn i jus picked up a 95 z28 6-speed two weeks ago 142k on clock. gears have noise or something is grinding when i accelerate, dash is cracked, center console is broke,
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mine has 140 on it and if my friend didn't break the dash taking it out two weeks ago it wouldn't be broken. but i will say this it was pretty damn brittle the new one is no where near as bad. the sun really puts a beating on the dash.

my camaro has non of the stated problems. but i agree those are the most common problems.

id also check to see if the water pump is going. also check the wheel wells for blisters in the undercoating. i had a problem with my 95 having blisters form under the undercoating and it was pockets of rust. i had to pay a lot to get it fixed.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 T/A M6 here with 174,xxx. Bought it with a messload of problems, shouldve been smarter
Old 08-09-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also check the paint, if it was a car that sat out alot then it might have some fading etc, make sure theres no shopping cart dents, and also check the rear bumper for paint cracks or "spider webs" in the paint as its fiberglass and its a pretty common thing. Also if you can get under this far, check the rear, see if theres any gear oil gunked up anywhere, look at the engine good, make sure theres no major oil leaks. I say major because alot of cars have oil built up somewhere on the engine because over time it leaks slow, which isnt too big of a deal. Start it and let it run, make sure the temp stays at a moderate range. And thats pretty much it, everyone else stated most of the things to look for...good luck!!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Search visibly for signs of abuse and other things.
-Oddly worn tires
-Scraps of rubber in the rear wheel wells
-Curb rash
-Leaks
-Door sag
-Check moldings/stripping

TEST DRIVE IT.
Go through all the shifts a few time see how it shifts, see how it idles, listen listen listen. Try to wiggle body parts ie bumpers, skirts or whatever see if its lose. The higher the mile the more attentive you have to be. Ask questions and don't believe anything they tell you is new unless they can prove it.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you for all the excellent tips on things to be on the look out for.

The car is an auto. I'll be sure to check the shifting and look at and sniff the tranny fluid too.

My friend that is interested in the car says per the owner it's in excellent shape. The asking price is $5,600 which if the car is in great shape could be within reason etc.

I've got a lot of concern because another friend bought a 97 WS6 w/98,000 miles on it for $7,700 about a year ago...he got upset when I told him based on condition the car was in WS6 or not worth the was worth about $3000 because it had so many issues. He liked LT1 WS6's and let wanting the car overwhelm his judgement and didn't check the car out...at all got excited and slammed the $$$$. So far he's in for about $1,500 in repairs with another $3000 looking him in the face.

That car has been nothing but an on going problem IMO because it's owner beat it and didn't maintain it. Lot's of carbon in the TB, won't idle right, various cooling issues due to bad radiator & temp sensor leaking etc, lot's of various SES codes due to bad o2's & cracked/split stock exhaust pipes, air filter was black, slipping clutch, wrong rims, marginal tires, AC is weak, leaks from 10-bolt & intake manifold (not critical yet but well on their way), appears to have stock plug wires and I would bet based on how badly it runs orginal plugs. Drives like it's weak on power. Took forever to get the air bubbles out of the cooling system...as in days and then take it to a professional who struggled with it...I think it needs an opti in additon to all the other stuff. Lot of cosmetic issues. 14 mpg highway is pretty typical for this one. (He had another LT1 in good shape that got 29 mpg highway) IMHO he got hosed. I want to make sure this doesn't happen to my other friend because she doesn't have any mechanical skills to deal with all the issues etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah sounds like he got bent over on that deal. But your looking at this car alot more than he did. I know how it feels, when I was looking for an LT1 car (used to have an 88 IROC-Z) I came across this beautiful looking 96 Z-28 M6 with 76,000 miles on her. I jumped on it and went to see the guy, and for some reason let me test drive it by myself...what a mess. Coolant was leaking from almost every hose, it didnt want to idle, oil was dripping on the manifolds creating an un-bearable amount of smoke, then it died on me, and it barely re-started, and the best part, there was a glitch in the stock tach, it would jump around. I drove it back and said nothing except "I'll let you know". He wanted 6 grand for it. Just goes to show you that some guys only care about keeping the car clean, and not mechanically maintained.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Yeah sounds like he got bent over on that deal.
Yeah with no lube.
I bought my car with 97,800 miles and everything was great, and it had a bra on it. That is one thing, if it has a bra on it, take it off and look at the bumper, the previous owner of mine apparently never took the fricken thing off and washed underneath it. The clear coat is peeling, bumper scratched, yeah.

X2 on the gear noises, mine didn't start until about 3 1/2 weeks after I bought the car, and after I took it up to 140. I'm not going to do that again until I find an aluminum driveshaft or something damn thing sounded like it was going to fly out. I found out today that my gear noise is from excessive backlash, and I'm 99% sure that its from some nimrod replacing the pinion seal and over tightening it.

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
. He liked LT1 WS6's and let wanting the car overwhelm his judgement and didn't check the car out...at all got excited and slammed the $$$$. So far he's in for about $1,500 in repairs with another $3000 looking him in the face.

That car has been nothing but an on going problem IMO because it's owner beat it and didn't maintain it.
That sucks about your friend, but he got pretty car syndrome. I don't really think that the PO of my car beat on it, but I don't think maintenance was a concern for him, he bought the car in early 96.

Quick Reply: Please share your tips for checking out a 95 LT1 Z28