Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Gas fumes and rear quarter sealing?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gas fumes and rear quarter sealing?

I've been trying to resolve an issue with gas fumes inside my car. I'm wondering whether the quarter panel to body should basically be an airtight seal and if I should smell fumes inside the car even if it had a small amount of fuel spill form the tank. Should the fumes be able to get inside the car from the outside? Is it possible there's a gap somewhere in my body work that's allowing this leak.

I've had the car since '99 (its a 94) and its been driven hard. I'm considering taking out all the interior panel to check for cracks or separation. I can definitely smell gas fumes in my left rear wheel well. Would this be normal or should the wheelwells, etc, be airtight? Regardless I'm going to pull the car apart to check. but thought I'd check to see if anyone has any experience with this.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would fix the source of the gas fumes before worrying about how they are getting in the car in the first place. You should never be able to smell fumes around your car unless you are filling your tank at the station.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start searching for evap system, vapor cannister, charcoal cannister, etc. There should be a lot of threads about this. The evap system consists of a tube running from your fuel tank to carry vapors into a charcoal cannister that is located in the left rear wheel well. I believe the cannister is hidden behind a black plastic cover in the wheel well. Anything the charcoal does not soak up goes through a line that runs adjacent to your fuel lines, into your engine bay, through a couple of solenoids, and feeds into your intake (assuming you haven't already ripped them out). Anyway, the charcoal cannister eventually starts to break down and you get fumes leaking around the left rear wheel well.

Last edited by dubga; 08-09-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes when people remove the evap system, they just remove the solenoids under the hood, and cut the vapor tube off in the front left wheelwell before it comes into the engine bay, then the fumes end up getting into the car through the a/c vents.

Search this Thread