Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Failure in 4000 miles... WTF? Over...

Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Failure in 4000 miles... WTF? Over...

Slave cylinder failed and dealer replaced T/O Bear'g/Slave Cylinder assembly under warranty. Since they had to pull tranny to do this I had a new SPEC Stage I clutch kit and Fidanza Aluminum flywheel installed. Worked great.

Transmission would slip out of third gear and a few months later convinced warranty group to replace it. While Pontiac dealer replaced tranny I had them install a McLeod Adjustable Master cylinder. Worked great... for about 4000 miles.

Clutch slipped in 3rd gear the first time it happened simply accelerating mildly on the freeway. Eventually each top gear began to slip; 6th. 5th. 4th. 3rd, 2nd, and now 1st and Reverse.

One person said it could have engine oil or clutch fluid on it; however another parts guru said no, fluids or grease would make it chatter. The only time I ever get (got) chatter is in 1st gear after the clutch has (had) been heated up (E,g, bumper to bumper traffic). I didn't abuse the clutch after install and tried to adhere to the 500 mile "feather foot" break-in period.

If it's not fluid and it's not abuse, WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE? WE're tearing it down this weekend to install a new disc. All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
JMan427
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

i know im not helping much by giving any info but ill def be subscribing to your thread cause im sorta sitting in the same position as you right now i just ordered a spec stage 1 and their steel fly wheel and its getting installed at dealership on mon... my thrust bearing is on its way out so warranty is replacing it and while dealer has trans open they are gonna put new clutch in for me.... i hope i dont have slipping problems with my clutch.... do u think the dealer might have just f'ed up and installed something wrong? well n e ways hope you get it fixed good luch bro
Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know of too many people who have had bad luck with spec,i would get something better like an ls7 or monster stage 1.One of my buddies spec decided to come apart and destroy his bellhousing,low mileage too.Save yourself the hassle,rip it out and replace it with something better
Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

I wanted to get a ls7 but my budget only allowed me 550 max for cost of clutch so ls7 was out and the spec is already ordered I hope I have by some chance a well made one... do u know bout how much the monsters run price wise
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

jman...why don't you post some pictures of the parts. Based on the issue you had with the hydraulics is it quite possible that you do in fact have contaminant on the disc surface. This would lead to slippage because as fluid gets on the disc it reduces the friction coeffecient of the material leading to reduced capacity. Contamination can also come from an RMA leak or even an over-greased input-shaft. At any rate post some pics or send them to my email and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

redtail...you always see to have something negative to say yet you have never been able to actually provide any support of you or your friends issues. If you have pics and or info I would be happy to assist you further.

Clutch kits don't simply come apart without cause. If your friend would like to contact me I would be happy to assist him. That is what I am here to do after all. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Failure in 4000 miles... WTF? Over...