Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp guage ? on 89 suburban swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp guage ? on 89 suburban swap

Confused on this one, so far everything works according to what I've researched. But my temp guage is not reading anything. I put a new sending unit in the rear pass head and hooked up my original plug to it, but nothing. I tried looking at some haynes diagrams and it shows the temp sending unit wires going to the original 89 suburban computer. It is still in and hooked up, but nothing on the dash guage.

My oil pressure worked by taking the brown input wire from original plug and tying that into the 4.8's oil pressure sensor.

Volt meter works by doing nothing I just put the 4.8 in with its computer and hooked the battery too it and it charges and guage works.

The only thing I spend money on was for the S&P coolant temp adapter and of course now my temp guage is not working.

So hopefully someone might have run into this before and might share some insight, or I will just by some cheapy aftermarket temp guage.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I take it the temp gauge gets it signal from the original pcm. Is there any way to bypass it and send the signal straight to the gauge?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I finally figured out my problem. The 89 suburban had 2 coolant temp sensors on it. The manual after looking at it again showed on as a TCS and the other one as a coolant temp sensor. Anyway the one in the intake is the one the parts stores showed as the coolant temp sensor and had a two wire plug on it that goes to the computer, and there was another in the driver side head with just a one wire plug. The one in the head is what works the guage. So now I just need to swap sensors and plugs around.

Quick Reply: temp guage ? on 89 suburban swap