Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct belt routing for alternator/wp only with truck accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct belt routing for alternator/wp only with truck accessories?

Anyone got a drawing of the correct way to run the belt if you are using the truck accessories with just the alternator, waterpump, and crank.

I can see two different ways to do it it, one would be around the alternator, under the idler pulley, over to the tensioner, back around the waterpump, around the crank, back to the alternator.

The other would be around the alternator, under the waterpump, up to the tensioner, back down looping under the crank back to the alternator.

Only problem I see here is the first one the belt is very close to itself where it goes out to the tensioner and back, the second one I wonder if it'll work cause the belt just loops under the crank and I don't know if it has enough surface area.

Any ideas?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kwik performance has pictures of how they route belts for different accessory configurations. This is their alt only truck /street rod set up.

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_high_mount.html

Looks like your option 2.

My set up is similar, but the alternator is on a custom bracket putting it much lower. Belt wrap in my set up looks minimal, but I've never had any trouble. I think alternator only set ups don't put as much load on the belt. I have seen guys with alts in the F body position and no idler and they don't have problems with slippage.

If you mount yours like shown above you should be golden.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that was what I was thinking for option 2.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's a possible lower alt bracket. #11 is only $38. You could run option 2 with it.
http://www.marinepartssource.com/crusaderpb/60-48.asp

Quick Reply: Correct belt routing for alternator/wp only with truck accessories?