Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I so slow?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Why am I so slow?!

Ok, I'm sure there're a ton of threads out there like this, but please, humor me...

My mods are in my sig, and my times are in my sig.

So, basically, I have a 2001 SS. I remember these being (on average) running 13.5 in magazines, even though it took me 9 years to actually go to a track and run, I was shocked to see how slow I was. As you can see from the sig, I got an SLP Lid and my HP/TQ were as listed - Mustang Dyno. The 13.935 @ 101.61 time is a bit off, because it was crowded that day, only got 2 runs, and was so nervous (my first track day ever) that I left ASR on and F'd my launch. If I had to estimate, I'd probably been able to get a 13.75ish.

So, since then, I get MM, LT Headers, Cat Y, and Cutout. I notice it's faster with it closed than open, and the track proves it. (That is a whole nuther discussion altogether), but after all these mods (plus running Eagle F1 GS-D3's instead of crappy $100 Sumitomo All Season's), I'm still only getting 13.649 @ 102.74. I haven't dyno'd it yet. Granted, there is no tune yet, but regardless, shouldn't I have been getting 13.5's before all these mods? Worse yet, does it sound like I'm having some problem?

I had plans for heads & cam 'n' stuff for next year, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be putting my money elsewhere...like in supporting this engine so it doesn't blow up.

Oh yeah, and it's been consistent for the past 7 years or so...if I were to change my oil today, I'd put in 6 quarts of Mobile1 10w30 synthetic oil between prepping the filter and filling up the sump. In about 1500 miles and/or 2 months, I'd get a low oil light. I'd fill it up with an extra quart, and then in another 1000 miles or so, I'd change the oil, and end up with only about 3.75 quarts. So all in all, 7 quarts go in, and 3.75 quarts come out over the course of about 2-3 months.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a good 60 ft then come talk about it...i bet it was like 2.3 or something???
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the motor, and get that thing tuned. Also, what was the DA for those runs? When I was lid and cutout only I had very similar numbers and times as you did, but this was in Tucson where the DA is typically ~5000.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

maybe im crazy but you shouldnt be losing a quart of oil every 1500 miles
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTBSully
maybe im crazy but you shouldnt be losing a quart of oil every 1500 miles
That is why I asked for number of miles. Might be time for compression and leak down tests and see if there is another problem outside of tuning/running in shitty air. 2 quarts per oil change is a bit much.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you looked in your intake for oil? The PCV system is known for sucking oil into the intake on these cars when the valve is not working correctly.

As far as track times go, it just takes practice. Especially since you have a 6spd. 60ft times are very important and on a stock suspension 6spd car its pretty difficult to pull good times on street tires. Get a sticky tire and some more seat time and I bet those times might drop a bit.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
Have you looked in your intake for oil? The PCV system is known for sucking oil into the intake on these cars when the valve is not working correctly.

As far as track times go, it just takes practice. Especially since you have a 6spd. 60ft times are very important and on a stock suspension 6spd car its pretty difficult to pull good times on street tires. Get a sticky tire and some more seat time and I bet those times might drop a bit.
x2. The oil consumption issue kindof has me wondering what else is going on though, cause that is ALOT.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best bet would be to get a leak down/compression test on the car. I was burning oil on my car not to long ago, but installing a pcv catch can solved my problems. Oil would be sucked into the intake manifold from the crappy pcv system on our vehicles. You could take the air intake off and look inside the intake manifold through the throttle body to see if there is oil in there.

Last edited by Greekey; 08-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Lots of oil being sucked through the PCV could cause problems, along with the fact of just losing oil in the crankcase. Upgrade to the 04+ LS6 Valley Cover that replaced your old PCV system. I've done this and changed my oil about 2500 miles ago. Since then, the oil level on my dip stick has not moved a BIT unlike before. Just an idea for your oil problems..
Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure about the oil problem, but it could just come down to your driving skills.

I have full bolt ons and the quickest I have ran at the track is a 13.4. And that pisses me off because like you said, these cars stock can run 13.5's. I have only gone down the track maybe 5 or 6 times total, so I really haven't had much experience. It takes a lot of practice to get good at launching and rowing through the gears. I would either bog the engine down at start up, burn the clutch, or if I did get a good launch I would spin all the way through 1st and halfway through 2nd.

Now it's been a long time since I've ran at the track and I'm confident I'm a much better driver now and I have some 295 goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3's to help me hook up. I learned how to launch properly without burning the clutch or bogging it down. I know my car can run like a 12.8 and I think I'm capable of that next time I go now that I've had a lot more practice.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well this could be caused by the oil issue and other issues with the motor. But Your MPH seems extremely low... With my 04 GTO M6 with striaght piped cats, DR's, and drag bags i ran a 13.01 @ 109.5 with a 1.96 60 foot (remember GTO on that 60 foot all you non IRS owners ). You should be making more power then my old GTO and the Trans am is lighter... I run down at Great lakes dragway which is just a couple hours away from you, so the elevation and everything like that is similiar. What i'm saying is after you fix the oil issue (and if you still are above a 13) would like to see a vid of you banging the gears to see if your losing any there...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ttranssam
get a good 60 ft then come talk about it...i bet it was like 2.3 or something???
Thanks for the response guys I really appreciate it!
And you're absolutely right, I should've posted my full timeslips.

Cutout Closed:
R/T: 0.246
60': 2.080
330: 5.801
1/8: 8.847 @ 80.92mph
1000: 11.452
1/4: 13.649 @ 102.74

Cutout Open:
R/T: 0.214
60': 2.131
330: 5.909
1/8: 8.969 @ 80.60
1000: 11.586
1/4: 13.793 @ 102.31

These were at Byron Raceway in Byron, IL...so my guess is that elevation is minimal?
Oh, and I'm at about 98,500 miles.

Also, question about catch can 'n' stuff like that. I've been looking into them for a little bit, but it sounds like it helps so that oil doesn't get into the intake (which I'm guessing robs power), but it didn't seem like it would actually help get rid of the oil consumption problem...or does it?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

A catch can will stop oil from getting into your intake manifold. It seems to me that there may be another oil problem your a facing because of the amount of oil your losing.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

And another thing about that oil consumption...this is a conundrum...

I've had that problem for maybe 6-7 years! It probably did that gradually since it was only at like 30k-40k miles-ish. During that time, I probably never had to add the extra quart in the middle, but nowadays, I get that low oil light, so I have to.

As long as I've had it, I've parked in the garage, and I've never seen any oil drip on the ground...ever. I've parked on inclines and declines for days at a time, and never saw a drop. The engine and engine bay are clean. I've had several people check my exhaust for blue smoke and they've never seen it. I have Center Mounted Exhaust, and you can see that it's nice 'n' black on the inside of those tips...that may or may not be oil too, but from what people have said, it's just carbon.

I have never checked or changed my PCV valve, so I'll probably give that a try real soon, but back to my last question, does that in itself actually help get rid of oil consumption, or is it just to keep oil out of the intake?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

my buddys 02 trans am with just full exhaust and slp lid ran. 13.34 @ 106. it does have lca's, relo's, and adjustable panhard bar.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, if the reason why your car is burning oil lies in the pcv system, a catch can will stop the oil from getting into your intake. If your reason your car is burning oil due to another factor, like bad valve seals or something else internal, then a catch can will not help you. A catch cans soul purpose is to stop oil from getting into your intake manifold. A catch can will not solve your cars problem of actually "consuming oil", it will help catch the oil before it is burned up in the parts of the engine oil is not suppose to be.
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Greekey
Okay, if the reason why your car is burning oil lies in the pcv system, a catch can will stop the oil from getting into your intake. If your reason your car is burning oil due to another factor, like bad valve seals or something else eternal, then a catch can will not help you. A catch cans soul purpose is to stop oil from getting into your intake manifold. A catch can will not solve your cars problem of actually "consuming oil", it will help catch the oil before it is burned up in the parts of the engine oil is not suppose to be.
Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me.
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

12.96 @ 109 bone stock on the OEM tires that came on it from the factory....I use 1/2 quart every 2500 miles and change the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals ... car has 215,000 + miles on it now and still has the same oil consumption it had from day one.... I went to a LS6 valley cover and PCV valve years ago not for the oil in the intake but because I went to non stock configuration valve covers...Just a FYI for ya .. if you use a quart of oil every 1,000 miles GM will tell you that you are within specs.

PS To the OP your MPH is very low ... your short time is not great but not terrible either....at the track your MPH will tell you how much HP you are making...you may want to do a leak down test on the engine...or you just may have a slow azz car..they are not all built equal.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your best bet is to purchase a catch can and see how much oil it catches. And see if it eliminates your car consuming oil.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres my catch can. Simple as heck to install.