Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Whine

Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump Whine

Hey guys, so I'm having an issue. The power steering pump died a few months ago and was then replaced at a shop for a brand new one. Since then, eveytime the car is revved or even while normally driving, the pump makes a loud noticeable whine, about as loud as the Procharger >:[ I'm not sure what it could be but it didn't do this before the pump died, and has done it ever since it was replaced. I'll try to get a soundclip of it soon. Anyone have an ideas offhand though in the meantime? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level? The only time my ps pump has whined like that is when it was basically out of fluid. It would act up when I took a tight turn and then it would keep making that noise for 5 to 10 minutes or until I stopped. Sometimes it would do it at start up. I refilled it and that solved the problem.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Thats the same deal with my friends 01 SS. He had the fluid really low and it made noises when he made turns. On this one, the pump is making a weird noise all the time, whether its revving or normal driving. And the fluid level is full too That was the first thing I had checked. I guess I should rephrase what I said earlier, the pump only makes a noise when I give the car gas
Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

bump plz? :]
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if its whining when giving it gas, you have a loose line somewhere, or air in the system. Mabe when they installed the pump they did not bleed all of the air out of it. Put the front up on jackstands and take the pump fill cap off and turn your wheels slowly all the way to the left and right until the wheels tap out on both sides. keep doing this and check your fluid levels and for leaks/loose hoses.

if its screeching, your belt/pulley could be jacked since it only does it when giving it gas
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Not a bad suggestion, I'll try that when I get home. If there are no loose hoses or leaks, how do I get the air out of the system? Is it by doing that wheel side to side thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Whine