Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget E46 Track Only Car

Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget E46 Track Only Car

I finally got the BMW stripped down to the BIW with the suspension/gas tank/lights, empty dash, steering column, and brakes. I've posted this idea a few times but now its finally ready to be done.

I had been driving a FR500S at the track but that gets pricey since I rent it, not own it. For what it costs me for the FR500S for a season I think I can get this car done.

I had a 330ci E46 I was parting out and finally got it all disassembled. It's been sitting for a long time. Its an 02 with 57k on the odometer.

I know its tough to get LSx's to work due to CAN and all that but this is strictly a track car. I'll probably use an AIM, obviously no AC/windows/locks, etc.

I understand it physically fits so my questions are where to go from here.

I only want/need to make about 400-425 at the wheels. The car is 3100lbs fully dressed so I'm guessing I'll get down to about 2600? Might even do rear lexan.

Rear gears are 3.36's and I'll be getting a 6 speed, any advantage to the 6060 over the T56?

I used to be pretty versed in the different versions but what motor is best to start off with? I want to do this reasonably priced also. All bang for buck type stuff.

Anyone hooked up a LSx PCM to an AIM before? I do not see any GM stuff listed on their website under CAN or RS232.

I need a:

PCM
Fully dressed engine w/ starter
Trans
Motor mounts
Transmounts
Drive Shaft
Harness
Start button/ignition

It's a track car so I don't need the PCM to do anything except make the motor work.

How reasonable can I do the above? I know the AIM is 2K, brakes are 3K, wheels/tires are another 3K, seats/harnesses $1,500, and a roll cage probably around 2K.

Think I can put the motor/trans and that for 4-5?

Make a pretty reliable track car. Thought about doing the same with a E36 but I already have the E46 and its ready to go.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AIM will connect via the OBD plug on CAN enabled GM ECUs. Don't forget to reinforce your rear subframe mounts. Looks like a cool project!

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/d...ation_ecus.htm
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is going to be track only, use the GM PCM and an aftermarket tach.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the rear subframe is the first thing being done. I'm trying to find out what they do to M3 Cup cars.

I want the AIM because I've used them before, its a bonus all the gauges are packed into one but I also get lap times, cornering forces, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget E46 Track Only Car