Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JZ Motorworks/LHX pan baffling

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Default JZ Motorworks/LHX pan baffling

Anyone have any pictures of the baffling plate installed that they say comes with the JZ Motorworks pan the LHX is marketing? All the pictures I see do not show the baffling plate, so it looks like the oil could just all run to the front of the pan under hard braking.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had taken a pic first, but it is pretty similar to the one that came in my truck oil pan, not exact, but close.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It only has like a plate running around the top of the lower sump.. no doors or plates running down into the lower sump to help keep the oil around the pickup. I am thinking of adding a few extra baffles to help.. I'll look to see if I have any pictures.

Right know the pan is on the engine for mod' up the mounts. If I take it off again. I'll shoot some more pictures of it..
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by bczee
It only has like a plate running around the top of the lower sump.. no doors or plates running down into the lower sump to help keep the oil around the pickup. I am thinking of adding a few extra baffles to help.. I'll look to see if I have any pictures.

Right know the pan is on the engine for mod' up the mounts. If I take it off again. I'll shoot some more pictures of it..

I was just about to order the AutoKraft pan until I read another members build thread that illustrated you cannot service the starter when using Eldelbrock headers with the AutoKraft pan unless you pull the tranny. That ain't gonna fly for me. I am speculating that the starter will come out when using the JZ Motorworks pan because it does not have the "kick outs" on the bottom of the pan. What headers are you planning to run?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Launching!

I ordered up the dynatech headers, hopefully will get them by this weekend, but I have no starter yet
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up some Edelbrock.. i have been pleased with there stuff on my chevelle...
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger

I was just about to order the AutoKraft pan until I read another members build thread that illustrated you cannot service the starter when using Eldelbrock headers with the AutoKraft pan unless you pull the tranny. That ain't gonna fly for me.
uhhhh - just pull the bolts out of the case on the starter and split the motor....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboS10
uhhhh - just pull the bolts out of the case on the starter and split the motor....
Sounds simple when you say it. Is this how you service the starter on your S-10 set up?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Is the capacity any higher on the Autokraft pan? I'd rather have the kickouts if they mean more capacity and a little headache removing the starter. As stated, you can split it apart if you're having a hard time. And which Edelbrock headers are those? They do make a few different headers for different applications.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Is the capacity any higher on the Autokraft pan? I'd rather have the kickouts if they mean more capacity and a little headache removing the starter. As stated, you can split it apart if you're having a hard time. And which Edelbrock headers are those? They do make a few different headers for different applications.
I think the AutoKraft pan has 5.5 quarts capacity.

The headers pictured are from a 64 Tempest project that is in the hybrid sticky section.

As for trying to assemble a starter in that small space while underneath a car, better you than me. I would be speaking in tongues if I had to do that. Not to mention, I don't know that anyone has actually done it. I think someone just speculated that it is possible. Let me know if I am wrong here.

Last edited by speedtigger; 08-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have the Edelbrock Headers / Mounts in my 68 SS396. I am running a Kevko pan which has very similar kickouts as the Autokraft pan. It was reasonably simple to install the starter. The header does need to be loose in the car (not bolted to anything) and then you can walk the starter in while shifting the header around. Make no mistake - it is tight in there, but really was not too bad and I am picky about those types of things.

NOTE: I seem to recall reading that there are different length starters for LS motors. Perhaps my starter is one of the "shorter" ones which would make this job easier.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary U

NOTE: I seem to recall reading that there are different length starters for LS motors. Perhaps my starter is one of the "shorter" ones which would make this job easier.
Yes. I remember this too. A big difference in length.IIRC. the newer trucks are shorter. But not certian

Quick Reply: JZ Motorworks/LHX pan baffling