Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New hurst stick.....vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New hurst stick.....vibration

Well i just got a new hurst short stick, installed it, and theres a vibration. doesnt matter gear or speed. its louder under acceleration and sometimes when my hand is on it. i bought it new on ebay, this is the one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurst...ts_Accessories

my car has the factory hurst shifter. any way of stopping the noise? im thinking maybe adding a firm rubber bushing in between the stick and shifter. any thoughts?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, the vibration is always there. The stock stick has that thick rubber mount to absorb the vibration.
I personally like the added vibration. Feel more connected to the car and "feel" the car's engine speed rather then looking down at the dash.

MagnaFlow Spokesperson Mario Andretti
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my ws6store short stick has no bushings and doesnt vibrate, make sure its on there tight, and if that doesnt work i dont see why a bushing wouldnt work.

my stock stick vibrated and bugged the ******* **** out of me
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

my stock stick didnt make any noise. the new stick is def on tight with lock washers. i would think by holding the stick during the noise it should go away but it actually gets louder. could it be something loose down in the shifter? something i wouldnt have noticed with the stock, rubber insulated, stick. i have yet to remove the rubber boot and take a look.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Nope, the vibration is always there. The stock stick has that thick rubber mount to absorb the vibration.
I personally like the added vibration. Feel more connected to the car and "feel" the car's engine speed rather then looking down at the dash.

MagnaFlow Spokesperson Mario Andretti
the "feel" is not a problem its the f-ing noise. i feel like everytime i figure out one noise/vibration, another one pops up!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

If you have the hurst ball shift ****...sometimes the jam nut under the ball can cause a rattle. I tightened the crap out of mine and the noise went away. I also used teflon tape on the threads for the ****.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of guys with GTOs that have this complain of the same problem.

Try silicone or something between the tip of the stick and the ball.
If its really bad it might be the threaded insert that goes into the ball might be loose or unglued or whatever.

Or its just the nature of the beast. Mine rattles a little but nothing I cant get over.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
alot of guys with GTOs that have this complain of the same problem.

Try silicone or something between the tip of the stick and the ball.
If its really bad it might be the threaded insert that goes into the ball might be loose or unglued or whatever.

Or its just the nature of the beast. Mine rattles a little but nothing I cant get over.

Better watch that silicone........you sure don't want ur stick stuck to your ball!

But seriously, I used teflon tape also....fixed mine right up.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

I do have the Hurst ****. I dont know why the ball or nut would cause the noise but at this point ill try anything! thanks for the advice, im gonna try the teflon tape first thing tomorrow. if that doesnt work ill try the silicone. im not too worried about it getting "stuck", its not like silicone is an industrial adhesive.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 PM
PSJ
On The Tree

Years ago when I installed my Lou's short stick....I wrapped the bottom of the stick with a couple rounds of duct tape.

The tape helped insulate the connection....which in turn cut down on the sound and vibration running up the solid metal stick.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

well i found a 1/4x2x3/4 rubber spacer which i thought would work but no luck. i put it between the stick and shifter with holes for the bolts to go through but i guess the vib/noise is getting transfered through the bolts themselves. im thinking it might just be the nature of the beast or maybe contact Hurst to see if they have come across this before.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The added NVH is normal when installing a short stick or aftermarket shifter where the big isolator is removed. You have to decide which is more important positive feel or being noise and vibration free.
I have encountered added NVH several times thru the years of adding performance parts and I can tell you after while you forget the noise was ever there.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hurst stick you have has larger diameter bolt holes than the stock shifter stick and the ebay seller zchris supplies two spacers to take up the extra space...correct? If so maybe the spacers are missing or are norrower than the thickness of the Hurst stick and they are vibrating in the holes.
I have the factory Hurst shifter with the black short stick that zcris sells and it does not vibrate at all.

Quick Reply: New hurst stick.....vibration