Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

custom steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom steering wheel controls

so i NEVER listen to the damn radio. it just sucks. i know there are many out there just like me too who never even turn their radio on - right?

so, having said that, about HALF of the radio controls that are located on the steering wheel are completely useless to me. the preset/amfm and the play button is even useless. the only steering wheel controls i use are the volume and the seek buttons.

so i'm wondering if there is a way to program the other buttons to do different things... for instance, changing the "play" button to power the HU on/off.

let me know if you have successfully tried this!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will work but only with aftermarket head units. Using a SWIX kit you can program any key to do any function that the remote control for your CD/Radio can do. You probably could change the wiring of the steering wheel controls to different functions on the stock radio but it would take alot of work. Were you referring to a aftermarket or stock radio?