Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

m29 transmission rebuild suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m29 transmission rebuild suggestions

I've never gotten a transmission rebuilt because i'm used to cheap nissan transmissions, which I just replace, but i'm looking to get my m29 rebuilt. The transmission itself still hold power just fine in every gear, but 2nd and 3rd gear are becoming a bit hard to get into. It just doesn't feel crisp overall though. what would you guys recommend I do, or go to to have it rebuilt. Thanks for your time guys.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Cool

I would recommend you send it to me for the rebuild
Seriously, I recommend the Stage 2 build (see link in my sig). It runs $680 and includes all new synchro rings, keys, springs, seals & fork pads. Also, I polish all synchro assemblies and upgrade the tranny with a steel 3-4 shift fork and billet keys. This is all included in the above price ($680). If you need any gears or other hard parts replaced, then it is just the price of the parts on top of the rebuild. You probably don't have much wrong with it, since its not popping out of gear or grinding.
Thanks for your consideration!

-Jason

P.S. If you want any references, or to see feedback, just do a search on this site for my shop name.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're going to rebuild it yourself, I find it helpful to disassemble so that you can review wear (bearings and synchro/gear synchronization teeth mainly) before ordering parts.

-jmd (phoenix)
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And since 2nd and 3rd gear engagements don't share a common synchro, make sure it's your transmission that's starting to get sluggish, and not a simpler problem like a worn clutch or a hyd system that needs flushed/bled..
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the recommendations guys!