Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners SD tune on future boosted motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Tuners SD tune on future boosted motor

What should I use for the initial tune and break in? I'm going to run it NA for a month or two and then add FI. Should I just use the existing normal software or opt for the 2.5 bar stuff right off the bat since I have an LS2 GTO? Also how do you get a SD tune through emmisions? They hook up a scanner here in AZ and see if you have any codes and that your emmisions system shows are ready.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboAv
What should I use for the initial tune and break in? I'm going to run it NA for a month or two and then add FI. Should I just use the existing normal software or opt for the 2.5 bar stuff right off the bat since I have an LS2 GTO? Also how do you get a SD tune through emmisions? They hook up a scanner here in AZ and see if you have any codes and that your emmisions system shows are ready.
Why not just go FI from the start?? Tune it conservatively, and put 4-5k miles on it WITHOUT really hammering on it...then dial in the tune the rest of the way, and let 'er RIP!!

As far as emmissions go, why not just run a cat? Maybe make the cat easily removeable (or more accurately..easily INSTALLABLE), and just put it in for the emissions check? You could also tune the vehicle 2 different ways...maf/map-based (like the factory) for the emissions check (with all factory sensors activated)...and then flash the optimized SD tune back into the ECU once the car has passed the emissions check. If you used a boost controller like the Eboost2, you could easily dial down the boost to 4psi for the maf/map-based tune, then dial it back up to where you want it once the SD tune is flashed back in to the ecu.

You have all kinds of options....but yes, they are going to cost you money. By the way...if you need a new 4" cat (from Random Technology) for your project, I have one available that was used for mock-up on my project.

Also, pick up a copy of Master EFI Tuner for GM EFI, by Dan Maslic. It will de-mystify a lot of things for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have all the parts together yet for an FI build. Here is AZ they rarely check under the car. They just plug into the OBDII port and make sure everything is good along with a gas cap test. I'm just going to run the MAF until I go FI. That way I can get through emmisions. Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll check it out.