Expired NJ Inspection Sticker - Will I get a ticket in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expired NJ Inspection Sticker - Will I get a ticket in TX?

I will be moving to Austin to go to grad school at UT on Sunday. My car has NJ plates, and an expired inspection from back in March before I bought the car. It passed the actual inspection, but they rejected it because I had temporary insurance cards. The day after it failed, I drove to work for the summer in Albuquerque, so I could never get it reinspected.

Am I going to have trouble from cops about this in TX? I googled whether states will reinforce out of state expired inspection and found no definite answers. Will I have issues from cops in general for having NJ plates on my car? I was in Houston last summer with NJ plates and they didn't seem to attract any attention.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Scrape off the inspection sticker. 9 out of 10 cops won't know (or have an easy way to find out) if NJ even has inspection stickers.

<---- Ex cop
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Perfect I thought about that, but didn't know if it would be even worse to not have one. For 2 months I've had a big red REJECTED sticker over my inspection.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought I wouldn't get a ticket for my expired TX registration when I moved to Colorado. Boy was I wrong. First day of class I had a ticket waiting on my windshield when I got back to my car. So I thought I'd get smart and just take the registration and inspection stickers off. Got another ticket. But cops in Colorado probably see their fair share of Texas plates and know what the deal is.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

How dick is that....You are in class and some Super Trooper *** hat walks the parking lot handing out tickets for expired inspections. That's chicken ****.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah it sucked big time. Worst part about it was I lost my Texas title when I moved up to Colorado. So for the 6 weeks it took for TX to issue me a replacement title I was getting expired registration tickets on a pretty regular basis.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Launching!

They can get you for failure to register vehicle in texas in 30 days. Just because its a New Jersey plate they can still check reg and inspection.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben R
I thought I wouldn't get a ticket for my expired TX registration when I moved to Colorado. Boy was I wrong. First day of class I had a ticket waiting on my windshield when I got back to my car. So I thought I'd get smart and just take the registration and inspection stickers off. Got another ticket. But cops in Colorado probably see their fair share of Texas plates and know what the deal is.
WTF! 2 tickets!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kennyxg
They can get you for failure to register vehicle in texas in 30 days. Just because its a New Jersey plate they can still check reg and inspection.
They will do this, even if I'm just going to school there and not a resident? I may still become an official resident since I'm not moving back to NJ anytime soon..

I've read differing statements about whether police enforce out of state inspection and registration. My registration is up to date, its just my inspection because they wouldn't take a temporary insurance card...

I removed my inspection sticker, we will see how this goes....
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 PM
9 Second Club

out of state inspection doesnt matter, but registration does. i lived in cali for 3 years (USMC) everything was titled here in texas and i never had an inspection. inspection is a state thing not a country wide thing. but if you live over here for a certain amount of time you will have to claim residency here and then you will have to register your car here and inspect it here. but until then your ok. you just have to make it out of your state without getting a ticket, once your out no other state can give you an inspection ticket.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ben R
Hippies write Colorado state laws. I like Colorado but hate their laws. I got pulled over after being up there for 45 days and was given two tickets. One for not having Colorado tags and the other for not having a Colorado drivers license. They cop said he kept an eye on my car to make sure I got it taken care of and said he gave me a 15 day break. But not once did I ever get a warning about it.

When I moved back to Texas I drive around with Colorado plates and no license, due to a stupid Colorado law, for almost 2 years. Gotta love TEXAS!

Quick Reply: Expired NJ Inspection Sticker - Will I get a ticket in TX?