Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant overflow going crazy!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant overflow going crazy!

Just got car back together after replacing pushrods, seems to be running really good now except a couple wierd things

1. Car temp guage reads right in the middle (slowly climbs to middle) but when I turn the car off even after running for only 20mins the overflow for coolent is bubbling like crazy! it steams the outside of the hood even and its very loud. also sprays everywhere inside,

2. dont know how this could be related but worth noting. A/c works but only comes out the top defrost,side little vents and feet no matter which selection you choose.

3. Passenger side light will not raise or turn on

Any ideas, most concerned about number 1, I am sure I can figure out 2 and 3.

Thanks
T
Old 08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the car actually overheating? If nothing noticable check the seal on your radiator cap, or the cap itself. Its designed to relieve pressure at a certain psi, if its weak or failed, or bad seal it will leak.

Also previous owner did this to my car.. the 2 small hoses on the radiator, 1 is the over flow, and the other is the coolant/intake crossover vent, he had them switched. That would make your overflow tank a constant vent.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

ok thanks! I did some more searching and thats what other posts were saying too. The hoses are correct so I cam going to get a new cap and hope it works.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

ok got a new cap. And now it does not bubble but the gauge shows it as overheating...so I pulled over turned thar car off and no bubbling and the engine seemed fine, not hot at all? there where 2 different kinds of caps, I got the one without the vent. any ideas?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Air in the engine. The easiest way to fill the cooling system on these cars is to remove the hose that connects to crossover and hang it up over the TB if you have the TB bypass, otherwise, just make sure it is higher than the metal crossover, just to eliminate more of a mess. Slowly fill the radiator with coolant/water of choice. When coolant begins coming out of the crossover, hook the hose back up and top off the radiator. Leave the cap off and start the car. Now there should be minimal air in the system and that will boil/steam out of the top of the radiator. Top that little bit off for a few minutes, or until there are no more bubbles/steam coming out the top. Close the cap, make sure the fluid in the overflow is good, and you should be air free in your coolant passages/system.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always drill one or two 1/8 holes in the t-stat to make sure it allows air thru before the t-stat even needs to open. This has helped me lots since I started doing it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 AM

I have a 98 SS, LS1: Coolant was leaking out the resv tank, fixed that, NOW it overheats and the coolant boils and bubbles out the top of the res tank.
Anyone know why this happens?

Also, I replaced the fan relays and the fans are not coming on... Any ssugestions?

New radiator cap installed. Think I'll drill holes in the T-stat.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bfrancis757
I have a 98 SS, LS1: Coolant was leaking out the resv tank, fixed that, NOW it overheats and the coolant boils and bubbles out the top of the res tank.
Anyone know why this happens?

Also, I replaced the fan relays and the fans are not coming on... Any ssugestions?

New radiator cap installed. Think I'll drill holes in the T-stat.
Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Air in the engine. The easiest way to fill the cooling system on these cars is to remove the hose that connects to crossover and hang it up over the TB if you have the TB bypass, otherwise, just make sure it is higher than the metal crossover, just to eliminate more of a mess. Slowly fill the radiator with coolant/water of choice. When coolant begins coming out of the crossover, hook the hose back up and top off the radiator. Leave the cap off and start the car. Now there should be minimal air in the system and that will boil/steam out of the top of the radiator. Top that little bit off for a few minutes, or until there are no more bubbles/steam coming out the top. Close the cap, make sure the fluid in the overflow is good, and you should be air free in your coolant passages/system.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Perfect, Worked great! Thanks for the help...no on to other problems......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant overflow going crazy!