PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband is 13.2 wot is that to lean for LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband is 13.2 wot is that to lean for LS3?

I just started to learn the EFIlive and I started tuning my 2010 camaro,mods are kooks 1 7/8 headers 3 inch exhaust and K&N cold air. I was wanting a second opinion on the wot wideband numbers,is 13.2 lean?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Most tuners seem to shoot for mid-high 12s it seems, but my tuner put mine at 13.2 (tailpipe sniffer) so that shouldn't be too out of line.

I don't get any KR or anything so long as I use good 91+ fuel.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to tune for 12.5 WOT, and still pass the emissions check. I'm pretty sure that they never hit WOT when doing a smog check, but you might want to do some checking and find out. But even if they do, you can always tune it lean for the emissions check....then flash in your "real world" 12.5 WOT tune once you get back home after it passses inspection. I'm not sure what kind of effect 12.5 will have on your cats, but I'm thinking they should be fine...someone else here might have a better idea??
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

I like to target 12.8:1 AFR. 13.2 is a touch on the lean side in my opinion. It's safe to turn off the Cat Overtemp Protection as long as you aren't hot-lapping the thing. This is assuming that you have the WBO2 installed in a bung upstream from the Cat.

Good luck with your tuning endeavor!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still say your gunna bake something tryin to squeeze every last HP out of that by leaning it up so much. I still don't think you will make that much more HP going from 12.8 to the mid 13s to make it worth the risk..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13.2 is too lean... especially on today's pump fuel...
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
You should be able to tune for 12.5 WOT, and still pass the emissions check. I'm pretty sure that they never hit WOT when doing a smog check, but you might want to do some checking and find out. But even if they do, you can always tune it lean for the emissions check....then flash in your "real world" 12.5 WOT tune once you get back home after it passses inspection. I'm not sure what kind of effect 12.5 will have on your cats, but I'm thinking they should be fine...someone else here might have a better idea??
Man, this forum has been full of junk posts for days now it seems.

A stock LS3 is richer than 12.5 WOT from the factory. How would a 12.5:1 WOT tune not pass emissions? As if they even check for WOT A/F ratio. Nope, they don't. As a matter of fact, they don't even check it for A/F ratio. They check for left over hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, and NOX.

If ya don't know something, don't post.

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
13.2 is too lean... especially on today's pump fuel...
That is correct, especially for the LS3s, which happen to be highly knock sensitive.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2010 Camaro's seem to like 12.2 - 12.5-1 A/F.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember also the wideband is not the end all either, the car may be perfectly fine with "your" wideband reading 13.2.

I do agree with Slowhawk that the LS3s like low 12's for AFR with our equipment.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Man, this forum has been full of junk posts for days now it seems.

That would make things a lot "quieter" here.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=edcmat-l1;13728388]Man, this forum has been full of junk posts for days now it seems.

A stock LS3 is richer than 12.5 WOT from the factory.I didn't know that. Nice to have learned something new today.

How would a 12.5:1 WOT tune not pass emissions? I NEVER said that it wouldn't, did I?

As if they even check for WOT A/F ratio. Nope, they don't.Again, NEVER said that they did.

As a matter of fact, they don't even check it for A/F ratio.No kidding.

They check for left over hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, and NOX.Yeah...In which excessive amounts would be a direct result of (among other things), a too-rich tune.....again, IF....like I stated before, IF....they decided to run a couple of WOT "blips" while sniffing the pipe and 12.5 was too rich....which I NEVER said it was. Unlike you, I would not dare to assume that every state/county tests the same way. I know for a fact they test differently here, depending on what part of the state you live in.

And what...you're the "posting police"?? LOL I'm not wanting to start a pissing match about who knows what, or doesn't....but you could stand to be a little less abrasive. You could also stand to "up" your comprehension of what I indeed DID post.

Last edited by salemetro; 08-16-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by salemetro
They check for left over hydrocarbons, CO, CO2, and NOX.Yeah...In which excessive amounts would be a direct result of (among other things), a too-rich tune.....again, IF....like I stated before, IF....they decided to run a couple of WOT "blips" while sniffing the pipe and 12.5 was too rich....which I NEVER said it was. Unlike you, I would not dare to assume that every state/county tests the same way. I know for a fact they test differently here, depending on what part of the state you live in.

And what...you're the "posting police"?? LOL I'm not wanting to start a pissing match about who knows what, or doesn't....but you could stand to be a little less abrasive. You could also stand to "up" your comprehension of what I indeed DID post.
My abrasiveness comes from seeing people post things as fact when they have no clue. Again this post has a few statements that had you been informed, you would not have made.

The biggest one being the "assume wevery state and county test the same way. Well, for starters, anything beyond a scanner test, or idle test, would be standardized federally. Which means yes, they would all test the same. I.E. the older IM240 test.

And which of the "excessive amounts" would be a direct result of a too rich tune? They don't just "decide" to run a couple "quick blips" WOT. Again, it's strictly standardized.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Let me know if I'm misinformed, but I thought the factory runs richer A/F because it makes the combustion process run cooler, thus not exceeding a burn threshold that produces more CO2 and/or NOX. We'd tune it a bit leaner to produce more power, but would sacrifice some worse emission's numbers. I don't know why people would assume running richer than 13 (ie 12.5) is worse for emissions.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
My abrasiveness comes from seeing people post things as fact when they have no clue. Again this post has a few statements that had you been informed, you would not have made.

The biggest one being the "assume wevery state and county test the same way. Well, for starters, anything beyond a scanner test, or idle test, would be standardized federally. Which means yes, they would all test the same. I.E. the older IM240 test.

And which of the "excessive amounts" would be a direct result of a too rich tune? They don't just "decide" to run a couple "quick blips" WOT. Again, it's strictly standardized.
I'll refer you to my original reply. If I were posting things as FACT, I could understand....but I was not. I recall using words like might, should, could, pretty sure, etc....as well as suggesting further research and that someone else here might know better.

As far as testing in this state....as of 6 years ago, they used the IM240 test on one of my girlfriend's vehicles (year model 2000) when she was living in southern Oregon....at least I'm assuming that's what it was, because they ran the car on a dyno for a few minutes....although they would not let us watch the actual procedure. When she moved up north, they just scanned it for trouble codes and called it good...we were out the door in less than 2 minutes. That's what I'm basing the comment regarding "testing differently" on....same vehicle, 2 different tests.....it DOES happen. Admittedly, I'm no expert....and never claimed to be.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Every "tailpipe" dyno wideband I have ever used has always shown leaner than the wideband I have installed up in my header collector (NGK AFX w/ NKT sensor). The last time I was on the dyno I was reading 12.7-12.8 at WOT and the dyno was telling me 13.3-13.4. If you're running 13.2 out back then you're probably ok, but a good wideband close to the engine is a better way to check.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by claytonisbob
Let me know if I'm misinformed, but I thought the factory runs richer A/F because it makes the combustion process run cooler, thus not exceeding a burn threshold that produces more CO2 and/or NOX. We'd tune it a bit leaner to produce more power, but would sacrifice some worse emission's numbers. I don't know why people would assume running richer than 13 (ie 12.5) is worse for emissions.
You are correct. A leaner burn will almost always result in higher NOx. Higher combustion temps, higher NOx. RICHER will result in higher CO and possibly HCs.

Quick Reply: Wideband is 13.2 wot is that to lean for LS3?