Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st gear "blocked" at stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1st gear "blocked" at stop

After a good drive (20 mins +) I'll have an issue with my transmission blocking me out of first.

I have to try a second time to get it in to first from a dead stop. Double clutching it has no effect, its the actual attempt to get it in gear then it will unblock and slide in.

Talked to Joey at tick, recommended bleed clutch. Did traditional bleed, clutch worked for a day or two, was back to old self after 2 days.

Readjusted master, made no difference in being blocked in 1st.

Things that help, fresh fluid. After a week, fluid is contaminated badly. I change out the reservoir fluid, but its getting ridiculous. I'm not even racing at the moment. Running DOT 3, ran DOT 4 and DOT4, no difference, doesn't seem to be a heat issue in the fluid boiling sense. High rpm shifting is still good.

Have Tick Master and Monstar Stage 3.5 clutch. It's been almost a year on this combo. New slave at time of clutch, tick was 1 month old at install.

I'm thinking with the level of contamination of fluid and speed at which it does get contaminated, maybe an issue with the slave? Thinking the clutch material is very aggressive and has worn down the slave seals a lot.

2 things seem to alleviate the situation.

Brand new fluid (good for 1 week of daily driving)
Or Rev to 6 k with it in 1st gear, good for a few hours.

It was only late spring when this started happening, it's been driving very well from sept to may in daily driving. Also as a clutch wears, you'd think it'd require less throw on the master to disengage. When I first set it up, 5.5 turns was what it needed to fully disengage without it moving the car. Had it at 6.25 turns for most of the year, now at 6.75 turns have clutch drag, running 8.5 turns to keep it safe margin but the pedal is high.

Thoughts?