Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)

Long story short, my aluminum roller rockers are failing because the spring clips are much harder than the aluminum rocker body material. Now, these are CAT SBC rockers modified to fit the LS1/LS6, but, the mod to use them has nothing to do w/ the problem.

The hardened bearing retainer clip cuts into the rocker body material which has resulted in either the end of the retaining clip snapping off or the rocker shaft to walk into the rocker.

Again, if your aluminum rockers have hardened material, likely a bearing housing, that rests against the retaining clip, then you won't have this problem. However, if there is aluminum against the clip, it will fail eventually.

It's worth removing the valve covers to have a look.

NOTE: I did not have this problem w/ the PRW 1.8 rockers that I had been using before the cam swap. The PRW's have hardened material against the retaining clips. Have only had the problem w/ the modified CAT 1.7 roller rockers.

NOTE 2: Am gonna tack weld the stock bearing retainers to the stock rocker so that they don't pop off & release needle bearings. Stock failure was the reason that I went to the roller rockers to begin with. The stock rocker body is ductile iron & the retainers/covers are stainless. So, the tack weld will hold to the iron & overlap the stainless to hold the clip/retainer in place.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Question why the aftermarket rockers on a stock head. Couldn't you just get a trunnion upgrade on the stockers and be done with them or did the valve train set up ask for an aftermarket.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a thrust washer(shim) under the clip?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Still don't understand why people are swaying away from stock rockers on a GM casting.....other than the convincing internet myths I guess.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

AFR 205 heads & Comp cam. There is nothing stock about the engine. I don't like stock rockers because when used w/ heavy springs, the bearing retainers pop off. Yes, this has happened to me. Am going back to try the stock rockers, w/ welded retainers, as of today. We will see how they hold up.

Can't use a thrust washer behind the clips. There is no room. Also, found one of the shafts, clip & all, was walking through the rocker body. Guess the press fit of the inner rocker pivot shaft to rocker body wasn't tight enough.

Best & most reliable rocker I've used are aluminum PRW's. You know...the cheap ones that the "convincing internet crowd" won't use? The ones I have are 1.8's, too much ratio & lift for the XER lobes. So, am gonna see how the welded stockers do. If the stockers fail again (don't see how they can), will buy some 1.7 PRW's.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

AFR 205 heads & Comp cam. There is nothing stock about the engine. I don't like stock rockers because when used w/ heavy springs, the bearing retainers pop off. Yes, this has happened to me. Am going back to try the stock rockers, w/ welded retainers, as of today. We will see how they hold up.
AFR 205's can run a stock rocker just fine. Bearings do pop out, but it's few and far between. I've built 100's of engines so far and have yet to have this happen to me. 1 time, doesn't mean it'll happen every time. The trunion upgrade fixes that.

Best & most reliable rocker I've used are aluminum PRW's.
That's an opinion, not a proven fact.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Got a photo of the problem you had? Were you using guide plates?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Damian
AFR 205's can run a stock rocker just fine. Bearings do pop out, but it's few and far between. I've built 100's of engines so far and have yet to have this happen to me. 1 time, doesn't mean it'll happen every time. The trunion upgrade fixes that.

That's an opinion, not a proven fact.

Yes, it's an opinion based on my experience. It was stated in response to your "internet myth/follower" comment.

Yah, trunnion upgrade is expensive/over priced. IMO, the tacked retainers will do a similar job. As noted, my dual springs popped a retainer in less than 200 miles. Yes, the valve train geometry is set up correctly.

Another issue w/ stockers is the wide valve wipe pattern. The design of the stock contact radius coupled w/ the motion of the stock rocker makes a wider wipe pattern than an aftermarket adjustable rocker. There is a huge difference between the two.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Got a photo of the problem you had? Were you using guide plates?

I will post some pics. Yes, was using guide plates. It's a design flaw in this particular manufacturers rocker. The edge of the retainer clip can contact the aluminum rocker body. Once it contacts, it digs in & either brakes the tip of the clip off or pulls the shaft into the rocker body.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are the pics. While taking the pics, realized that the shaft walked first & then the clip tip broke off. All of the shafts were walking. I just found the first two that broke retainer tips. So, it's definitely a design issue.

First pic 009 shows the shaft as it is pushing out the opposite side of the rocker. Smallest to largest... the smallest diameter is the inner shaft. The next stepped diameter is actually the retainer. The largest diameter is the outer shaft sticking through the rocker body.

Second pic 004 is a pic of a pen pointing to the protruding outer shaft

Third pic 002 shows a broken retainer tab. There should be two ears w/ holes for the c-clip tool used to expand the clip/retainer when installing or removing. One of the ears w/ a hole in it has broken off. (Found both broken tabs stuck to the drain plug magnet in the oil pan.

Fourth pic 011 shows how I tack welded the stock retainers to make sure that they don't pop off.
Attached Thumbnails Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)-rocker-fail-pics-009.jpg   Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)-rocker-fail-pics-004.jpg   Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)-rocker-fail-pics-002.jpg   Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)-rocker-fail-pics-011.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Went back and looked at my photos of installation. My old Cranes had no clips that I can see and the Yella Terra's have a clip but it bears up against the outer bearing race, not the aluminum.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Went back and looked at my photos of installation. My old Cranes had no clips that I can see and the Yella Terra's have a clip but it bears up against the outer bearing race, not the aluminum.

That's good to hear. I corrected myself as to the clip to aluminum thing. The actual issue is that the steel outer race/shaft that is pressed into the aluminum rocker body is walking out. Apparently, the press fit is not tight enough between the steel & aluminum. Most, if not all of mine were walking out. It looks like the issue is w/ this manufacturer only. Although, as is the point of this thread, everyone w/ aluminum rockers should check to make sure that the inner steel shaft/race is not walking out of the aluminum rocker body.

Quick Reply: Keep an eye on those aluminum rockers (Some can be troublesome)