Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter install....any takers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default converter install....any takers?

I have a '00 TA. I have had this 3800 fuddle racing converter sitting here but i dont have the tools or know how to do it by myself. Is there anyone in northern Ohio that's able to install this and a couple supporting mods for a decent price? Here's what I have...
3800 fuddle converter
Sfi flexplate
Poly tranny mount
Rear main seal
B&M trans cooler
.....I also bought the stronger bolts for the flexplate. I can do the trans cooler myself but the TC I'm not so sure about. Have cash if the price is fair. Thanks!

If anybody knows a fair priced shop let me know! Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

should've posted this in the midwest regional forum.

also join OHIO LSX social group and post it there

https://ls1tech.com/forums/groups/ohio-lsx.html
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

Man, this is not a hard task at all to do. The only thing you will have to make sure you have is a long extensions to reach that top bolt on the tranny. Once you have that off I would leave it off. Just make sure you get the car up high enough (using jack stands) to have enough room to work under and use a floor jack to lower the transmission once you have it all lose. Make sure to take the drive shaft off first, take the transmission cross member off because you will need the slack in the tranny to get to the top bolts. Pull the inspection port and unbolt the converter from the flex plate. Start to unbolt the tranny and leave the to side bolts for last. Once you get down to those 2 bolts slide your floor jack under the transmission and put a board or something over the jack so you don't puncture the transmission pan. Once you have this done take the last 2 bolts out and slowly lower the transmission to the ground and roll it out of the way. You can now easily replace the flex plate and the converter will just slide right off of the transmission pump shaft. Make sure before you put the new converter back on the transmission you put a few quarts of fluid back in it. If you decided to tackle this task yourself good luck and I hope this write up helps. Let me know if you need any more advice or just have a question about something. Good luck..
Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure I would install a poly trans mount unless you already have poly engine mounts. allowing the engine to twist but anchoring the tailhousing could cause it to crack the housing.

pulling the trans isn't hard but if had someone to help you that had some experience that would make it alot easier. WORD OF CAUTION no matter if you do it or a friend absolutely make sure the torque converter is installed all the way on the input shaft. Very common to not have it installed all the way and ruin the pump when you try and bolt it together. Please do a search on converter install and read about how the converter will click multiple times as you push and turn the converter on the input shaft.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by odarabla
Man, this is not a hard task at all to do. The only thing you will have to make sure you have is a long extensions to reach that top bolt on the tranny. Once you have that off I would leave it off. Just make sure you get the car up high enough (using jack stands) to have enough room to work under and use a floor jack to lower the transmission once you have it all lose. Make sure to take the drive shaft off first, take the transmission cross member off because you will need the slack in the tranny to get to the top bolts. Pull the inspection port and unbolt the converter from the flex plate. Start to unbolt the tranny and leave the to side bolts for last. Once you get down to those 2 bolts slide your floor jack under the transmission and put a board or something over the jack so you don't puncture the transmission pan. Once you have this done take the last 2 bolts out and slowly lower the transmission to the ground and roll it out of the way. You can now easily replace the flex plate and the converter will just slide right off of the transmission pump shaft. Make sure before you put the new converter back on the transmission you put a few quarts of fluid back in it. If you decided to tackle this task yourself good luck and I hope this write up helps. Let me know if you need any more advice or just have a question about something. Good luck..
thanks for the info. unfortunately i am more of a visual person when it comes to this type of stuff! ha ha do you know where i might be able to find pics of an install??
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike13
I'm not sure I would install a poly trans mount unless you already have poly engine mounts. allowing the engine to twist but anchoring the tailhousing could cause it to crack the housing.

pulling the trans isn't hard but if had someone to help you that had some experience that would make it alot easier. WORD OF CAUTION no matter if you do it or a friend absolutely make sure the torque converter is installed all the way on the input shaft. Very common to not have it installed all the way and ruin the pump when you try and bolt it together. Please do a search on converter install and read about how the converter will click multiple times as you push and turn the converter on the input shaft.
wow ok thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
should've posted this in the midwest regional forum.

also join OHIO LSX social group and post it there

https://ls1tech.com/forums/groups/ohio-lsx.html
just joined!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...allations.html
good luck, Johnny
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike13

I knew I forget something, thanks..