Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problem from header install

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem from header install

My dad was trying to get the dipstick tube off the block, he pulled it out and it broke off inside the oil pain about a quarter inch below the rib thats on the bottom of the tube. WHat needs to be done now, do I have to take the oil pan off and everything.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by matrixiskool
My dad was trying to get the dipstick tube off the block, he pulled it out and it broke off inside the oil pain about a quarter inch below the rib thats on the bottom of the tube. WHat needs to be done now, do I have to take the oil pan off and everything.
As long as you don't knock it all the way into the pan you should be okay and not have to remove the pan (although dropping the pan and knocking it down from the top might be easier!) You may be able to use a easy-out to grab the inside of the tube and then yank it up.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

My dad is so pissed off, I could really use some help. What is an easy out? And most important, can I drive with the dipstick off or will oil spurt out? If it will I guess I could plug it up until I get the piece removed and a new dipstick.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i would suggest against driving it with it broken off like that, but i'm more cautious with everything now.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Oil will spurt out, so don't drive it. An Easy Out is a bolt extractor. Looks like a tapered drill bit that is reverse threaded. The way you would normally use it is to use a drill bit to drill out the top of a bolt that the head broke off of. Then you would use the easy out like a drill bit in reverse and as it drills in, it bites into the broken bolt and turns it counter-clockwise. If you use an easy out that would go into the broken dipstick tube, bite into it and you should be able to pull it out. Just be careful and don't scar up the insideof the passage where the tube fits in.