Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW 4l60E No Second Gear 1-3-4(delay)-lockup HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW 4l60E No Second Gear 1-3-4(delay)-lockup HELP

Long story short, I rebuilt my own 4l60e and put it behind a ls1 408 stroker motor. I had it for the first time on the dyno the other day for a baseline tune break in the new motor. EFILive showed "1" and it started in first and rpm's increased, then it commanded "2" and the rpm's still began to rise without change, then it commanded "3" and immediately shifted (rpm dropped a few thousand), then "4" was commanded and a few seconds after it displayed on the screen, a 4th gear shift was made. Then the converter locked. We manually commanded 4-3 downshift and it worked and would upshift too. I have a TransGo HD-2 kit, and superior intermediate (1-2) and overdrive super servo's (3-4). I know some about auto transmissions but I have a lot to learn. The trans was full of ATF Dextron III and there was absolutely no indication of slipping. It was under a light throttle load and I have not driven it on the street. Feel free to ask a ton of questions and I will do my best to answer them. I built the trans about 7 months ago and it is in a project vehicle. This was the first time the new trans was ever run or tested.

Last edited by 50chevy; 08-15-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

I lost second gear in mine a while back. It happend all at once, got into the power was fine then stopped at a red light a little ways down the road and first was fine but no shift to second. I had to let off the throttle then it shifted to third then forth. Second was completely gone bands sliped off, is what they told me.

This was my experience, with no second.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look at the seals for the 1-2 accumulator and also the seals for the servos to make sure you did not cut or miss something here. Also make sure that you have the gold ball and spring in the 1-2 shift valve and also in the correct locations. Vince
Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Update: I fixed the 2nd gear shift problem. I had the billet super servo installed incorrectly. I put the servo back together and now have a definate 1-2 shift. New problem, it appears that when the trans shifts 2-3, that it does not want to accelerate in 3rd under light throttle. I did not want to drive any further and risk anything so I parked it in the garage and lightly ran it through the gears on jackstands. I put a light load on the wheels with the brakes and began in manual 1. I looked at the speedometer (not calibrated, but in the ball park). I accelerated to about 30 mph and upshifted to "2" and the speedo shot up to about 60 mph and wheel speed increased. I then slowed the wheel speed down the 30 mph and upshifted to "3". The rpms dropped as if it shifted but the speedo did not increase. I then shifted to "4" and the rpms dropped again. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Drive it on the street and put some real miles on it. You can't always tell whats going on with the vehicle up on jack stands. And if you used grease or a lot of assembly lube you need to run it longer just to heat that up and melt it out of everything so the fluid can flow properly.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Post some log files showing VSS, TP, RPM, TFMPRS, TRQENG, GEAR, TCCMODE...

also include MAP, MAF, DYNAIR, DYNCYLAIR, ECT, IAT, AFR;

are you MAF or MAF-less...?

has engine been MAF/VE tuned for correct airflow...?

Quick Reply: NEW 4l60E No Second Gear 1-3-4(delay)-lockup HELP