Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals for 93-02 f bodys

Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true duals for 93-02 f bodys

where can i find true duals gmmg or bassoni wit x pipe
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been able grasp why people want true duals. You can run a Flowmaster merge 3" to 4" and put a dump on it if you like. Less weight and worries about tight clearance. Also a single 4" numbers is good 600 HP and from what I recall flows more than dual 3".
Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

A guy who knows his stuff told me that duals will decrease power cause their isn't enough back pressure( told me to get rid of the tsp duals and switch back to y-pipe with cutout and catback). True or false?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I haven't been able grasp why people want true duals.
True duals sound better than any cutout ever will. I have True duals with sweet thunders. Doesn't get any better than that.

I am pretty sure a y pipe + cutout will make nearly the same power as the texas speed true dual setup. Now mine is ran over the axles because I do not want to not have tips on my T/A. Also I don't think a cutout gives you very much back pressure either. I could be wrong about that tho.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, look at the 5th Gen. Camaro of a rough approximation of what should be done for true-duals...

I would never get a dump before the rear axle -- I want the exhaust in the back of the car. An electric cutout makes sense though, as I would be able to change it at will.

Originally Posted by 01wssick
A guy who knows his stuff told me that duals will decrease power cause their isn't enough back pressure( told me to get rid of the tsp duals and switch back to y-pipe with cutout and catback). True or false?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

If you want true duals over the axle and don't want to mess with doing too much fabricating, bassoni is what you want... but pricey if I remember. I think all over bolt on true dual systems are dumped. I personally have been thinking about getting the Texas Speed true dual system. Just gotta decide if I can live without tips.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw this negative talk about duals, im havin a set fabbed right now, im in afgan, ive had friends with them, and i have always been told the best things, as long as clearence is takin into account, and out the back customs with cut-outs are always a must!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Needing backpressure" is an absolute bullshit myth - ANY backpressure is a bad thing. Anyone who argues for backpressure doesn't understand exhaust scavenging. Also, going from a 3" pipe to a 4" pipe will actually decrease exhaust velocity, which can hurt power. Not saying it does for that specific setup, but it can.

As far as true duals vs a single-pipe setup...well, sound. Most single-pipe systems on LS1 cars make them sound like boats, and cutouts just sound like ***. I also personally think no tips looks better on the back of a Trans Am, although unless they don't have the rear valence, Camaros look weird without them.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, i think that people get confused thinking that backpressure is what u need when what they are actually thinkin of is exhaust velocity. I was hopin that the new setup will infact add some power over the y-setup now that my car has a healthy cam.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think people need to look at where they want their power -- across the RPM band is a great ideal, but perhaps true duals changes that. For me, I really like the low to mid-band power the most -- that torque is fun!

Racers will likely car more about upper-RPM bands... It would be great if more people post dyno charts of both before and after major exhaust changes -- it will benefit us all, and we will have numbers to learn from instead of a lot of opinions...

Originally Posted by Element
"Needing backpressure" is an absolute bullshit myth - ANY backpressure is a bad thing. Anyone who argues for backpressure doesn't understand exhaust scavenging. Also, going from a 3" pipe to a 4" pipe will actually decrease exhaust velocity, which can hurt power. Not saying it does for that specific setup, but it can.

As far as true duals vs a single-pipe setup...well, sound. Most single-pipe systems on LS1 cars make them sound like boats, and cutouts just sound like ***. I also personally think no tips looks better on the back of a Trans Am, although unless they don't have the rear valence, Camaros look weird without them.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-15-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having a bassani true dual slapped on my lowered TA by Roger's Exhaust in Fontana after seeing 2 other fbod guys post good pics and make good comments about it all. It's costing me a few dollars but I decided to move forward with it.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Regular

All i can say is if you have an aftermarket torque are goodluck with making it fight right without hitting the ground because true duals suck! been through 3 systems guys even a texas speed one and it was by far the worst i've ever seen up close. Just bought borla 3 inch catback an a brand new y-pipe from a friend parting out a trans-am
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i had true duals under the axle with sweet thunders and am lowered, sounded amazing but the cops didn't like it much here lol it wasn't nearly as bad as the LM1 resonators i had on the two 3" pipes hahahaha
Old 08-15-2010, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Im kinda wondering about the whole clearence thing myself, ive got a tunnel mount TA and know thats gonna be a problem for this guy, i know the bolt-on kits wont work. Ive seen the TSP sysems, and they seem to have the worst clearence of them all, had a few friends with em. The guy wants to keep my cats, told the wife it needs em, even if they dont function, so i figured id run no mufflers if the magnaflow cats are stayin, can always change it up later. Sucks being deloyed while this is happening.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element

Thank you.

Back pressure in our cars is a bad thing. Our engines make more power by flowing more air. By creating pressure in the exhaust system you lessen the air that enters the combustion chamber and in effect make less power.

Some of you need to go back and read the "I wanna go fast" sticky. True duals are high flowing which is good, a Y-pipe system (a good one) creates scavenging which doesn't create back pressure, it sucks the air out, and a stepped up system (3" to 4") can increases velocity which helps with scavenging.

Back pressure is needed in 2-stroke engines. The pressure is used to open and close the valves. We have cams for that. That is also why you hear this back pressure argument from ricers and those who've come over from the ricer community. Back Pressure is also needed in forced injection like turbos. That pressure however is in the intake manifold, not the exhaust.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Im kinda wondering about the whole clearence thing myself, ive got a tunnel mount TA and know thats gonna be a problem for this guy, i know the bolt-on kits wont work. Ive seen the TSP sysems, and they seem to have the worst clearence of them all, had a few friends with em. The guy wants to keep my cats, told the wife it needs em, even if they dont function, so i figured id run no mufflers if the magnaflow cats are stayin, can always change it up later. Sucks being deloyed while this is happening.
My car has the SLP 3 point boxed sub-frame connectors. They are pretty thick. The only part you can see on my TSP set-up is the step down bend on the driver side where it comes off the header. and only about an inch or so before it tucks back up.

Other than that the only issue is the two bullet mufflers. Right now they hang a bit low because I did my install on a post lift instead of a roll on, so my suspension was unloaded and I couldn't tuck them up nicely. Once I have the free time however I can roll the rear of the car onto a set of ramps and fix that issue and everything will tuck nicely.

The TA is the only issue and that can be solved by going back to a tail mounted with better yet, a TA relocation tranny cross member.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I think people need to look at where they want their power -- across the RPM band is a great ideal, but perhaps true duals changes that. For me, I really like the low to mid-band power the most -- that torque if fun!

Racers will likely car more about upper-RPM bands... It would be great if more people post dyno charts of both before and after major exhaust changes -- it will benefit us all, and we will have numbers to learn from instead of a lot of opinions...
Unfortunately most of us don't have access to a dyno that we can use to post before and after. Lord knows I'd never get off the thing if I did.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Thank you.

Back pressure in our cars is a bad thing. Our engines make more power by flowing more air. By creating pressure in the exhaust system you lessen the air that enters the combustion chamber and in effect make less power.

Some of you need to go back and read the "I wanna go fast" sticky. True duals are high flowing which is good, a Y-pipe system (a good one) creates scavenging which doesn't create back pressure, it sucks the air out, and a stepped up system (3" to 4") can increases velocity which helps with scavenging.

Back pressure is needed in 2-stroke engines. The pressure is used to open and close the valves. We have cams for that. That is also why you hear this back pressure argument from ricers and those who've come over from the ricer community. Back Pressure is also needed in forced injection like turbos. That pressure however is in the intake manifold, not the exhaust.
my buddy keeps saying well your car needs back-pressure or it will lose power, i'm glad i don't listen to him. i loved having my true duals and i do miss them but i don't miss the attention from the cops
Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You wont lose power with no back pressure but you will lose low end torque and gain some top end horsepower. Its give and take.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
my buddy keeps saying well your car needs back-pressure or it will lose power, i'm glad i don't listen to him. i loved having my true duals and i do miss them but i don't miss the attention from the cops
The reason people think they lose power "without backpressure" is pretty simple. A stock exhaust setup is designed to have the maximum scavenging at lower rpms - normal cruising speed, where the majority of cars will see most of their drive time, ergo, the rpm band where you'd want them to make the most power. However, to do that, you need small exhaust primaries and collectors, in order to keep exhaust velocity high at low rpm/low exhaust gas flow (spinning fewer rpms = less air pumped through). Once you start to increase engine revs, the smaller primary size can't flow enough, causing restriction, which is felt as a lack of power. By increasing your primary size, you simply change where the meat of your powerband is.

A set of headers with a larger set of primaries and collectors than stock manifolds (ignoring the rest of the exhaust for this example) is going to scavenge slightly less at lower rpms, since there's lower exhaust velocity due to larger pipe size and lower flow, but will flow and scavenge much better at higher rpm bands. That's why you see people switching between 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", etc primaries - it changes the most efficient point of the engine's powerband.

Search this Thread