Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This True About Putting Stall Converters In Stock 4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is This True About Putting Stall Converters In Stock 4l60e?

I was talking to my friend about me putting a 4000 stall converter with a cooler, The Beast sun shell, Deep Oil Pan, HD2 kit in my stock 4l60e and he said not to do it because it will mess up the clutch's inside the stock transmission every time quickly, and that It happen to someone he knows multiple times. I said I would have thought thought it overheating would be the problem and he said no its the clutch's.

Is that true? If it is, what do I need to put in to keep it from doing that?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

not to listen to your friend
Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mesterious
I was talking to my friend about me putting a 4000 stall converter with a cooler, The Beast sun shell, Deep Oil Pan, HD2 kit in my stock 4l60e and he said not to do it because it will mess up the clutch's inside the stock transmission every time quickly, and that It happen to someone he knows multiple times. I said I would have thought thought it overheating would be the problem and he said no its the clutch's.

Then don't use stock clutches, why in the hell would you tear it down to change the sunshell and not do anything with the clutches?

A person who knows what they're doing can build one to last.

And just as important, after it's built make sure it works properly on the first test run rather than run it until it burns up. The build process and shift kit has some adjustability.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a stall converter is obviously harder on the tranny, it makes you go faster, doesnt mean its going to burn it up. If your trans is in good shape you should be fine for a while... keep the fluid cool and just remember its a stock trans when you beat on it..
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Then don't use stock clutches, why in the hell would you tear it down to change the sunshell and not do anything with the clutches?

A person who knows what they're doing can build one to last.

And just as important, after it's built make sure it works properly on the first test run rather than run it until it burns up. The build process and shift kit has some adjustability.
The reason I would just change the sunshell is because, from what I have read, the sunshell is one of the weakest parts of a stock 4l60e. I just heard about the clutches being prone to fail so I didn't know if it was true so I brought it here so people that know would tell me.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The reason I would just change the sunshell is because, from what I have read, the sunshell is one of the weakest parts of a stock 4l60e. I just heard about the clutches being prone to fail so I didn't know if it was true so I brought it here so people that know would tell me.
Do you realize that you have to take every drum that holds clutches out of the transmission in order to change the sunshell?
Yes, the sunshell is a weak link, right up there with the 3-4 clutches.
FWIW I have all original clutches except the 3-4.
I did the transgo kit and it's internal parts, the sunshell, 3-4 clutches, hi-rev pump rings, hi-energy band. Thats under $200 of internal parts, pretty cheap and I guess it's not stock after that.

IMO it's not worth taking apart just to change the sunshell and nothing else.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 AM
10 Second Club

The stock clutch's aren't worth a damn. IMHO.. The 4L60E is a exspensive transmission to work on and maintain. The best thing you can do is get rid of it in favor for a th350-th400 if the car isn't your DD and if it is go with the 4L80E. This way you aren't rebuilding the damn thing every year or so. I went through 3 built 4L60E transmissions (on a H/C/I high 10 second car) before I wised up and bought a built th350. Best thing I ever did and it will handle what ever I throw at it for a long long time!!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

get a raybestos Z-pack, it contains more clutch material then the stock 3-4s, good investment if the 4l80 or th350 are out of your price range

Quick Reply: Is This True About Putting Stall Converters In Stock 4l60e?