Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to quiet down my exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to quiet down my exhaust...

Trying to figure out what I should do...my current setup is...

LT's
TSP Catted Y
SLP LM1

...I first thought about just swapping out the LM1 resonator and making it a "Borlamouth", but I realized the Borla has a 5'' diameter and I don't want to deal with scraping problems (my LM1 resonator occasionally scrapes on speed bumps and it has a 4'' diameter).

Before the cam swap, I didn't mind how my exhaust setup sounded, but now, it's a lot louder at idle and it has a lot of rasp around 2000 rpms, which drives me crazy. My next idea was just to put a stock catback on and get a cutout. My friend ended up having a stock catback sitting in his garage, but it has a Flowmaster muffler welded in place of the stock muffler. Would that be a good option for me? I'd have a cutout if I went that route, so losing power through the Flowmaster wouldn't bother me. I'm basically looking for an exhaust setup that will be quieter at idle and have no rasp. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a hooker aerochamber system or magnaflow and you wont loose any power. Both should cut the rasp out completely
Old 08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by somws6bird
Get a hooker aerochamber system or magnaflow and you wont loose any power. Both should cut the rasp out completely
Don't really want to spend the money on a whole new catback...just trying to make it quieter on a budget...I don't mind losing power because I will have the cutout anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

That was the first catback I ever had. It sounds great and is somewhat quiet. I just remember that thing would drone loud as hell on the highway cruisin 75.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ew....cats

ditch the cats and grab a magnaflow cb.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

The Dynomax bullet mufflers can be used like the Borlamouth setup I believe.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever get that catback installed? How was the sound of it with all the mods you've done?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Did you ever get that catback installed? How was the sound of it with all the mods you've done?
Putting it in tomorrow. I'll try to post up a video once it's in.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Launching!

I converted my LM1 to a magnamouth yesterday. Had LTs and ORY with the lm1 catback as well as a ls6 cam, but that didn't really affect the sound. Thanks to a 240 dollar ticket for a "muffler violation" I figured I could try replacing the lm1 "resonator" with a magnaflow muffler. I did and it did quiet it down some but imo not that much. It is still very loud. It did clean up the sound alot. It is loud AND sounds good, which could not be said about the lm1 imo. The rasp is still there from like 2100-2300 ish but not near as much as the lm1. WOT still sounds exactly the same to me.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Got a similar issue. Got Pacesetter Headers, off road y-pipe, and LM1. The drone at 2200-2600RPM can give you a headache after an hour of highway cruising. I threw some Dynamat and DynaPad down but it really didn't help too much with the exhaust, but the speakers sound outstanding.

My next step is to turn the LM1 into the SLP PowerFlo exhaust. I heard that was supposed to quiet the LM1's down a bit. Anyone done this mod? Did it help any?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula_LS1
Trying to figure out what I should do...my current setup is...

LT's
TSP Catted Y
SLP LM1

...I first thought about just swapping out the LM1 resonator and making it a "Borlamouth", but I realized the Borla has a 5'' diameter and I don't want to deal with scraping problems (my LM1 resonator occasionally scrapes on speed bumps and it has a 4'' diameter).

Before the cam swap, I didn't mind how my exhaust setup sounded, but now, it's a lot louder at idle and it has a lot of rasp around 2000 rpms, which drives me crazy. My next idea was just to put a stock catback on and get a cutout. My friend ended up having a stock catback sitting in his garage, but it has a Flowmaster muffler welded in place of the stock muffler. Would that be a good option for me? I'd have a cutout if I went that route, so losing power through the Flowmaster wouldn't bother me. I'm basically looking for an exhaust setup that will be quieter at idle and have no rasp. Thanks for the help.

i have the same setup only wit borla, and mine is quiet down low, not to get off topic but does ur ypipe have ground clearance issues?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

i had LT, ORY, and LM1. I added powerflo mufflers and a single cat in the I pipe it's a lot quieter. I can feel a power lose but i think that is due to the cat witch i only put in for inspection purposes. i will prob be switching back to a ORY
Old 08-25-2010, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

I ended up having to put a resonator in after my y pipe before my magnaflow muffler. Its still pretty loud but it got rid of the rasp and resonation.

Quick Reply: Trying to quiet down my exhaust...