View Full Version : sub frame connectors

ShowstoppaTransAm
08-18-2010, 12:58 AM
did anybody ever make the double diamond sub frame connectors again? don't wanna sound rude but PLEASE don't mention anything other than double diamond.
THANKS

Devils Mentor
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Well Kenny Brown was the guy who made the DD's and since he is now focusing on Mustangs, I doubt we will see them again. And as for not mentioning anything but the DD's, well... this will be the shortest thread in history :P

DM

tmdz28
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Well Kenny Brown was the guy who made the DD's and since he is now focusing on Mustangs, I doubt we will see them again. And as for not mentioning anything but the DD's, well... this will be the shortest thread in history :P

DM

/thread

:D

libertyforall1776
08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
If anyone has his contact info, might want to pick up the phone and ask... I assume they were reproduced one-offs?

Looks like you can post a request here:
http://www.kennybrown.com/parts-de-jour/garage-sale

Here is what they looked like:
http://xse.com/leres/ss/images/diamond.gif

DM

Devils Mentor
08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
No they were a listed item, but then he got real sick and almost died from what I heard; now he's just focusing on the Stangs, for obvious reasons. Thanks for the link, but I had it, but I'm sure it'll help someone else out ;)

Ehhh... I just tossed in my .02 over in the request board, lol... we'll see...

However... When I did talk to Ken, he did tell me that he did not mind me reproducing a few as long as I didn't make a habit out of it... I have a buddy that is a fabricator and welder that can do the work, but I would need one to copy, he will not do it from scratch, he doesn't have the time or resources to do R&D.

DM

ShowstoppaTransAm
08-26-2010, 04:28 PM
that stinks that nobody else makes something similar. you'd think KB would start making them again if he's back in business. i tell you what once you ride in a vert that has them you sure can tell a difference in the other junk out there. maybe when (if) they make the vert camaro KB will start making them again. then again if he has a board maybe if we get a group order KB will do a run.

libertyforall1776
08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
^ That would be great, but I dunno how well it would work to rip off and replace my welded UMI SFCs... :-(

BigRedZag
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
I held out for several years hoping he'd make them again and finally gave in earlier this year and had some UMI ones welded in. Literally the care feels new to me now. It tracks MUCH better, feels like *one* car, and is much more enjoyable to drive. Would the DD's be better? They're obviously a superior design but I doubt my weekend cruiser would benefit any more than what I got out of the ones I ended up with...

Devils Mentor
09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I think it's UMI that makes a 3 point SFC, I wonder what the difference is between that and the Ken DD's; it looks like the same concept.

DM

libertyforall1776
09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Over certain odd parking lots, bumps and speed-bumps, I get a weird bump/impact (exhaust I think) around the center where I sit -- didn't get that before the UMI SFCs... I think the frame now flexes less, but the exhaust ends up flopping around more?

I agree with your comments on the way the car now feels, apart from the above.

I held out for several years hoping he'd make them again and finally gave in earlier this year and had some UMI ones welded in. Literally the care feels new to me now. It tracks MUCH better, feels like *one* car, and is much more enjoyable to drive. Would the DD's be better? They're obviously a superior design but I doubt my weekend cruiser would benefit any more than what I got out of the ones I ended up with...

libertyforall1776
09-08-2010, 07:57 PM
UMI 3-pt. do not fit convertibles, else I would have bought them. I think UMI could make them work, just improve the clearance a bit on the 'vert. -- so the design would have to be modified... Try emailing them and see what they say.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_113&products_id=196&zenid=1t7eqv8qfjnrmerj50u0j1i1q3

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/images/large/2003ab_LRG.jpg

SLP also makes 3-pt SFCs, but no longer makes the 'Vert version which was part #70804 (bolt-on).

I think it's UMI that makes a 3 point SFC, I wonder what the difference is between that and the Ken DD's; it looks like the same concept.

DM

droptopcamaross
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
I had kenny brown double diamonds on my 99 vert and it was incredible how much better the car was. Waaaaaay tighter night and day. Fast foward now I have an 02 vert and was totally bent went I found out you could not get them any more. Havent found any other 3 points that work on a vert. I ended up welding in some UMI sfc's and while its better than stock it still sucks big time. I hate it to the point I'm considering selling the car. It still flexes and twists and creaks I can't stand it. If I could get my hands on a set of these I would cut out my UMI's in a second. They are the best bar none.

farmington
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
I bought a new pair of the 3 point SLP sfc's. Yes, I know they're not available anymore, bought these from a local guy on Craigslist. $150 brand new in the box. He was asking $370 but nobody would bite. Car definitely feels a TON better now. I also added LCA's and a panhard bar.

droptopcamaross
09-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I bought a new pair of the 3 point SLP sfc's. Yes, I know they're not available anymore, bought these from a local guy on Craigslist. $150 brand new in the box. He was asking $370 but nobody would bite. Car definitely feels a TON better now. I also added LCA's and a panhard bar.

I thought these did not work on a convertible.

Devils Mentor
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Well seeing how these companies (except for Brown) are all sponsors (I think), then why can't we get them to produce these? Granted, there are not as many verts, but wouldn't a T-Top benefit from these as well?

But like I said a while back, if I can get a set of the DD's then my boy could reproduce these in a limited quantity since I got the go ahead from Brown himself when we first started taking about these in another thread. If my boy is still willing and for the right price, we could have these. I just need someone to offer up a set to fab from.

DM

libertyforall1776
09-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Well they are still available, but are said not to fit convertibles? So what gives, did SLP once make a version for 'Verts? Have pics installed on your 'Vert?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70802&BIG=70802-1

http://www.slponline.com/inst/70802.pdf

libertyforall1776
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Why doesn't KB just license his design, especially if he does not plan to make them any longer?!

Well seeing how these companies (except for Brown) are all sponsors (I think), then why can't we get them to produce these? Granted, there are not as many verts, but wouldn't a T-Top benefit from these as well?

But like I said a while back, if I can get a set of the DD's then my boy could reproduce these in a limited quantity since I got the go ahead from Brown himself when we first started taking about these in another thread. If my boy is still willing and for the right price, we could have these. I just need someone to offer up a set to fab from.

DM

libertyforall1776
10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Just received a reply about 3pt. SFRs from UMI:

"We need to take our 2-Point convertible SFC's and build additional bracing for them and turn them into 3-Point SFC's. We hope to do this sometime in the future but haven't attempted it yet."

Good news, time to start your phone call requests and emails! Hopefully they can start making them this year... But, what about a solution for those of us with their 2pt. already welded?! :(

01 ss vert
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
How much were the old DDs?

NBM2002WS6Vert
10-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Here's the original announcement of the SLP version that was posted on this site along with original pricing:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/114164-slps-convertible-subframe-connectors-now-available.html

01 ss vert
11-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Here's the original announcement of the SLP version that was posted on this site along with original pricing:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/114164-slps-convertible-subframe-connectors-now-available.html

Thanks.

DropTopBird
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
So I was wondering, what exactly is it besides the slightly different mounting locations that make the hardtop 3pts incompatible with the verts? I can get a pair of vert 2pt sfcs real pretty cheap and I was thinking about just making the third point and tieing it together with tubing. I was just wondering if there is anything in the way that is not there on the hard tops.

droptopcamaross
11-04-2010, 09:26 AM
So I was wondering, what exactly is it besides the slightly different mounting locations that make the hardtop 3pts incompatible with the verts? I can get a pair of vert 2pt sfcs real pretty cheap and I was thinking about just making the third point and tieing it together with tubing. I was just wondering if there is anything in the way that is not there on the hard tops.

There are supports built into the floor pan that won't clear the hardtop 3 points. I have the UMI convertible ones and was thinking the same thing. Get some 1 inch square stainless tubing and make my own . It wouldn't look pretty but may be worth it. It would be alot of cutting and welding to get around the floor supports . Not sure if that would take away from the strength

farmington
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I just bought a 9" rear from a local guy and he said he has a new set of the SLP Vert sfc's for sale. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you his number.

Devils Mentor
11-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I just bought a 9" rear from a local guy and he said he has a new set of the SLP Vert sfc's for sale. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you his number.

Are they the double diamond type? Do you have pics?

DM

Devils Mentor
12-09-2010, 09:42 AM

Dude... I have PM'ed you multiple times and I see that you have gotten them, why are you blowing me off!!!??? You were suppose to get me a price and some info on these and now you are selling out!

I lost out on another set because I have been waiting on you!

DM

Devils Mentor
12-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Sweet! Looks like the ball is roll'n!

DM

ramairetransam
12-16-2010, 07:17 AM
what do these look like .

Devils Mentor
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Page 1 post 4, but here's another pic I found.... They are not the vert sfc, but you get the idea ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/ferg106/Stuff%20for%20sale/KBSFCs005.jpg

DM

DropTopBird
12-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Any updates on this?

Devils Mentor
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Who's been talking to Kenny about this????

DM

Devils Mentor
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Alright guys!!! I just got off the phone with my boy and we AGAIN discussed him making these, but like I said, he does not have the ability to R&D them from scratch... IF someone has a set that he can copy from then he could start looking into cost and production. He has all the shit needed to do this - laser cutter, water just, plasma cutter, all that crap, but just no way to R&D it.

DM

Devils Mentor
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Who is giving out infractions, and why, to some that are discussing the Kenny Brown SFC!!?? I'm sure it's someone with a coup that has 20 different types of SFC at their finger tips for purchase :rolleyes:

There are no sponsors here selling anything on the lines of Kenny Browns DD SFC so why all the hate with infractions and deletions of posts!!!???

DM

01 ss vert
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
agreed. If I could get my hands on one, I could take very detailed measurements for fabrication.

man2004
01-25-2011, 12:44 AM
I have two verts both in need of SFC's. So, count me in for two!! :secret2:

man2004
02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Is there a problem with using the UMI SFC's? It has to be better than no SFC's.

There are two types: Weld-in and Bolt-in.

http://marylandspeed.com/umi-performance-tubular-convertible-subframe-connectors-weldin-19932002-camaro-firebird-umi-2026-p-1458.html

http://marylandspeed.com/umi-performance-tubular-convertible-subframe-connectors-boltin-19932002-camaro-firebird-umi-2027-p-1459.html

tmdz28
02-04-2011, 05:09 PM
installed my BMR SFC for vert 3 months a go (weld in). the difference is HUGE!!

I love mine, i know it's not Kenny's DD, but originally f-bod vert handles like shit, I think with the addition of STB and SFC they handle really well.

Now i have my bilstein shocks and strano springs installed. well, it handles like a champ!! :lol:

man2004
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
installed my BMR SFC for vert 3 months a go (weld in). the difference is HUGE!!

I love mine, i know it's not Kenny's DD, but originally f-bod vert handles like shit, I think with the addition of STB and SFC they handle really well.

Now i have my bilstein shocks and strano springs installed. well, it handles like a champ!! :lol:

Thanks for the input. I will get the UMI weld-ins. Is the UMI chrome moly STB worth the extra $35 over the cheaper UMI STB? The previous owner of my 98 black vert suggested a traction bar. Any suggestions on a traction bar?

Devils Mentor
02-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Unreal! I can't believe that not one sponsor or manufacture has bothered to respond to this! Shows us how much they care about the vert owners!

Like I said, I talked to Kenny Brown about my buddy making these and he said that as long as I don't mass produce them that it would be cool. I'm gonna call Monday to see if I can get the build specs for the DD.

DM

Devils Mentor
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Well I was going to call KB, but they no longer list their # on the website. does anyone have their #?

DM

man2004
03-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Try Kyle at BMR. When I talked to him at the beginning of the year, he told me that BMR plans to make 3 point SFC's for verts this spring. If enough of us bug BMR, maybe we can get some 3 point SFC's already.

DropTopBird
03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Try Kyle at BMR. When I talked to him at the beginning of the year, he told me that BMR plans to make 3 point SFC's for verts this spring. If enough of us bug BMR, maybe we can get some 3 point SFC's already.

yeah umi said the same thing years ago. If bmr did actually put these out, they would definitely sell quite a few