Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

NT05 vs NT05R vs BFG DR

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NT05 vs NT05R vs BFG DR

Getting ready to pick up some R17 315s before winter kicks in, and I'm debating between these three. The last set of Nittos I had, 555Rs, I really didn't like, because they were skinny for their size, didn't really hook that well, and had a very short life (primarily because of the tread cracking). I ran a set of BFG DRs right afterwards, and liked them quite a bit more (better traction on dry pavement, in the rain, and even the snow [I know]), not skinny for their size, and they lasted a decently long time for DRs.

Sorta up in the air between these three in 315s, though. Are the Nittos in that size still skinny compared to other tires, especially the BFGs, of the same size?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Nitto lists the specs of their tread widths right on their website.

315 NT05 is a 12.4 inch width on a 17x11

315 NT05R is a 12.48 inch width on a 17x11

We just picked up a set of NT05s for my girlfriends camaro, because they look like they are a decent compromise between a street tire and a drag radial. They are relatively soft, and light for what it's worth. Sitting in my garage waiting for the wheels to get here today from OEwheels

Are you looking for a dedicated drag radial, or an in-between like an NT05? Also, 13k miles out of my NT555Rs before my left tire picked up a bolt Still had another 3-5k miles to go on them before they were shot. Easily had 10 or so John Force burn outs too at the track.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

A dedicated drag radial would work, since I don't drive the car a whole lot, but I'm not against going with a dual-purpose tire, either. The BFG seemed like a good all-around tire, since it stuck pretty good, but highway and street manners weren't bad, and they did fine in the rain (had them on the car when it was still a daily).

I wouldn't have any problem running the BFGs again, but I don't have the spare money to pick up the BFGs and a set of the Nittos to try out. I'm just worried that, if I do go with the NT05 or NT05Rs, I'll have the same problems that I did with my 555Rs. The BFGs are listed as 12.4", so at least I won't have to worry about the new Nittos being as skinny as my old ones.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Element
A dedicated drag radial would work, since I don't drive the car a whole lot, but I'm not against going with a dual-purpose tire, either. The BFG seemed like a good all-around tire, since it stuck pretty good, but highway and street manners weren't bad, and they did fine in the rain (had them on the car when it was still a daily).

I wouldn't have any problem running the BFGs again, but I don't have the spare money to pick up the BFGs and a set of the Nittos to try out. I'm just worried that, if I do go with the NT05 or NT05Rs, I'll have the same problems that I did with my 555Rs. The BFGs are listed as 12.4", so at least I won't have to worry about the new Nittos being as skinny as my old ones.
I wish I could offer more opinion on the NT05s as we have yet to try them out, but there are a fair amount of good things to be said if you search "NT05" in the wheels & tires section specifically.

If the specific problem you had with Nittos in the past was tread cracking, I would go with intuition and say you just got your hands on a bad set of tires :/

My NT555Rs didn't have that problem, and my NT555s don't have that problem either. Arizona sees 115 degree days regularly in the summer, and consider that asphalt is many many degrees hotter than that at times. You are talking about this kind of cracking right?

In the end, there is nothing wrong going with what you know, and if you had good experiences with BFGs, nothing wrong with going for it again If you don't drive the car a whole lot, the BFGs are probably stickier than the NT05. As far as the NT05r, well, just give those a search in this section as well... Not much in the way of tread life, and hook decently.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I wish I could offer more opinion on the NT05s as we have yet to try them out, but there are a fair amount of good things to be said if you search "NT05" in the wheels & tires section specifically.

If the specific problem you had with Nittos in the past was tread cracking, I would go with intuition and say you just got your hands on a bad set of tires :/

My NT555Rs didn't have that problem, and my NT555s don't have that problem either. Arizona sees 115 degree days regularly in the summer, and consider that asphalt is many many degrees hotter than that at times. You are talking about this kind of cracking right?

In the end, there is nothing wrong going with what you know, and if you had good experiences with BFGs, nothing wrong with going for it again If you don't drive the car a whole lot, the BFGs are probably stickier than the NT05. As far as the NT05r, well, just give those a search in this section as well... Not much in the way of tread life, and hook decently.
The cracking I got was actually completely different, heh...was a series of cracks 2" to 5" long, about 1/16" to 3/32" wide, across the tread blocks. I guess I can't complain too much, as Nitto does warn against using them in the cold, and I didn't have a choice (only car and outside parking). Maybe because it was a 245, but I just couldn't hook up with them, even when it was warm out. :\

I may give the NT05Rs a spin, just to see what they're like. Mileage isn't a huge issue since I probably won't be putting 2000 miles a year on the car.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

If you like the BFG's, its hard to recommend changing something thats working well for you. These are excellent tires indeed. The new NT05R may be a fun tire to try but I haven't seen any tests head to head with the BFG. Treadware rating wise the NT05R actually has a higher (200 vs 100) rating than the 555R which usually means slightly less grip but longer life. This however can come down to the driver, the vehicle and the track. Let us know if we can help you with your tires either way. We'd love to earn your business.

Last edited by Discount Tire; 08-18-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

The cracking I got was actually completely different, heh...was a series of cracks 2" to 5" long, about 1/16" to 3/32" wide, across the tread blocks. I guess I can't complain too much, as Nitto does warn against using them in the cold, and I didn't have a choice (only car and outside parking). Maybe because it was a 245, but I just couldn't hook up with them, even when it was warm out. :\

I may give the NT05Rs a spin, just to see what they're like. Mileage isn't a huge issue since I probably won't be putting 2000 miles a year on the car.
Ahh yes, really cold conditions can do that And holy hell, I would not expect 555r 245s to hook up well at all haha!

I don't think you will be disappointed with the NT05s
Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
If you like the BFG's, its hard to recommend changing something thats working well for you. These are excellent tires indeed. The new NT05R may be a fun tire to try but I haven't seen any tests head to head with the BFG. Treadware rating wise the NT05R actually has a higher (200 vs 100) rating than the 555R which usually means slightly less grip but longer life. This however can come down to the driver, the vehicle and the track. Let us know if we can help you with your tires either way. We'd love to earn your business.
Yep, going to keep the stock 16s with the Hankooks on them in the garage for the winter, and bring the expensive tires inside. Learned my lesson on that one.

No worries on earning my business - I've been buying tires from you guys for years now.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gaunt
Ahh yes, really cold conditions can do that And holy hell, I would not expect 555r 245s to hook up well at all haha!

I don't think you will be disappointed with the NT05s
Being an M6 with 4.10s doesn't help anything with those scooter tires, either. My damned license plate should be "SMOKSHOW".
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

im running the nt-05s and love them!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, im looking at running a DR as well. im stuck on a BFG DR as i love how aggressive they look. but my car is still somewhat a DD. so thats why im looking into the nitto 555R still.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Yep, going to keep the stock 16s with the Hankooks on them in the garage for the winter, and bring the expensive tires inside. Learned my lesson on that one.

No worries on earning my business - I've been buying tires from you guys for years now.
Awesome. If we can help you at all, let us know.

-Travis
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I had the NT05's in a 275 on my old TA. Loved em. I'm running a 315 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radial right now and LOVE them. You should consider them. They are nice and sticky. I decided to go with them over the NT05R because it's my DD and even though I only drive 1 mile to work and that's about it (Except the weekends when I go out on the street). I think the Toyo would have been better in case I ever run into rain.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I had the NT05's in a 275 on my old TA. Loved em. I'm running a 315 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radial right now and LOVE them. You should consider them. They are nice and sticky. I decided to go with them over the NT05R because it's my DD and even though I only drive 1 mile to work and that's about it (Except the weekends when I go out on the street). I think the Toyo would have been better in case I ever run into rain.
Are those 17" tires? Looked on Tire Rack and didn't see them listed under 315 35 R17s. Is the Toyo any stickier than the Nitto, since you've run them both?

I'm not a "Won't drive the car in the rain" guy (it's a car, after all), but I try to avoid it now that I have a daily beater, so wet traction isn't a huge issue for me.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
man, im looking at running a DR as well. im stuck on a BFG DR as i love how aggressive they look. but my car is still somewhat a DD. so thats why im looking into the nitto 555R still.
I loved the BFGs when I had them on, never had any issues with them. Only problem with running them on a DD is tread life - I got about 5k out of mine, and that was without any burnouts or track time on them.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

I love my NT05s but they do not hook as well as my BFG DRs. I got the NT05s for all around performance (including road coarse) and are the best tire I have had for that so far.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Are those 17" tires? Looked on Tire Rack and didn't see them listed under 315 35 R17s. Is the Toyo any stickier than the Nitto, since you've run them both?

I'm not a "Won't drive the car in the rain" guy (it's a car, after all), but I try to avoid it now that I have a daily beater, so wet traction isn't a huge issue for me.
TireRack doesnt carry them.. only TiresDirect.net and Onlinetires.com .. I used to have the NT05 street tire, not the R, and these Toyos are worlds better, and of course they are 315's vs 275... I can't compare the Toyo to the NT05R..

The Toyos are nicely priced too
Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

I have near 15K on my NT555s and don't think I've gotten half life out of the yet (no 'smoke shows' or burnouts on my street tires). I had 1 start to rot and goose-egg on me so I replaced it w/an NT05 (got it NEW for 100) and have no issues w/any of them yet. Will get a mate for it shortly, but it was a 2-day delivered and on the car deal.

Quick Reply: NT05 vs NT05R vs BFG DR