Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Much?

well im thinkin of building up the ws6 by the end of the fall and this is just an idea but i basically want to run a trex cam, patriot ls6 stage 3 heads, fast intake, and msd coils. the car already has a mild cam and has 75000 on the clock. so should i replace lifters and pushrods as well? also the car is a t56 and has a 4.10 rear. it will only be driven on nice days and at the track. so my question is .....is this too much to be driven on the street without being too annoying?

thanks, rich
Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

PTV is already edgy with stock heads and the Trex, much less with some worked heads. You really need to find out the valve drop and see if it is the same/better/worse than your stock heads, if they have been milled, etc, etc. You may need to flycut, so be prepared for that.

I would go ahead and replace the lifters, and oil pump if you haven't already, as well as the timing chain. Again, that is if those are still original OE parts, if you changed them with the mild cam, you should be fine.

Pushrods will probably be longer, depending on the "mild cam" you have now, as well as gasket thickness choice, and head milling. You will need to measure, so just wait until you can get it all together, then measure for proper PR and order the appropriate length hardened PRs.

As far as driveability, that is all in the hands of the tuner. I have seen a baby cam in close to stock cars drive horrible and large cam engines drive great, and everything else in between, so just make sure you have the car tuned by a quality tuner, this forum is full of them.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Teching In

wow thanks man i greatly appreciate it but what exactly is meant by ptv?(im assuming piston to valve clearance?) lol and i believe the heads im lookin at offer enough clearane for the lift of the cam but i will double check and yes i will change the timing set over and ported oil pump as well, and yur saying get the pushrods last? so i can measure for length? o and should i be fine with 1.7 rr non adj? haha im sorry i know its alot of questions...this is my first ls car so its pretty new to me
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WsSick2000
wow thanks man i greatly appreciate it but what exactly is meant by ptv?(im assuming piston to valve clearance?) lol and i believe the heads im lookin at offer enough clearane for the lift of the cam but i will double check and yes i will change the timing set over and ported oil pump as well, and yur saying get the pushrods last? so i can measure for length? o and should i be fine with 1.7 rr non adj? haha im sorry i know its alot of questions...this is my first ls car so its pretty new to me
Yes, PTV is piston to valve. The lift usually isn't the problem, its the duration. You will need to verify you have 0.080" on the intake and 0.100" on the exhaust. Those are fairly standard clearances and so make due with less, either way, make sure you are comfortable with the clearances you have.

Yes, get the PRs last. Whoever you are ordering the setup from can guesstimate the length. This is convenient when you measure and happen to be accurate, then you don't have to wait. Otherwise it is usually just $10 for turn-around shipping if the guess was wrong. The stock rockers should be fine, although if you have the $$$, a trunnion upgrade is well worth it. FWIW I do not have the trunnion upgrade yet, but in the future, I will.

In the future, you will more than likely have better luck getting responses in the internal engine section for questions like this.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WsSick2000
well im thinkin of building up the ws6 by the end of the fall and this is just an idea but i basically want to run a trex cam, patriot ls6 stage 3 heads, fast intake, and msd coils. the car already has a mild cam and has 75000 on the clock. so should i replace lifters and pushrods as well? also the car is a t56 and has a 4.10 rear. it will only be driven on nice days and at the track. so my question is .....is this too much to be driven on the street without being too annoying?
thanks, rich
Depends on what you think is annoying. The trex is an aggressive cam, but with a good tune you'll be fine. I'm sure a lot of people DD a more aggressive set up than what you are wanting to do. Pushrods will probably have to be changed out, but TR will let you know what you need.