Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on installing my motor back in

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on installing my motor back in

i am getting ready to drop my motor back in from the top. when i took it out i disconnected the transmission n dropped the tranny out from the bottom. is it possible to just drop the tranny and motor connected together. i feel like this would save me alot of time and make it much easier.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

You can put the engine and tranny in together from the top ,but you will have to do it with non of the front acessories on the engine also the harmonic balancer has be removed along with the intake manifold being removed.

I have done it both ways,,,and I can tell you it is 10 times easier and quicker to do it from the bottom.Also it is easier on your back.

Also I do not have a lift I use my engine hoist and a dolly.I also use a seat belt instead of a chain to put around the upper radiator support so it doesn't scratch the paint when lifting the body up.

When I remove and install the engine from the bottom I do not remove the whole shock assembly from the body,,I just remove the two shock bolts from the lower A-arm and disconnect the spindal from the upper A-Arm that way I don't have to lift the cars body so high in the air to get the engine out or back under the car.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same, strap around the radiator support. But now since I modified it for moving the radiator I used a chain on the bumper brackets. I would never even attempt to take it out the top.

1. Jack up car on jack stands
2. Use engine hoist to lower engine onto cart.
3. Pick car up with engine hoist.
4. Roll everything out.
5. Lower car back down on jack stands.

Its a walk in the park.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned

Also I would like to add I can remove and install the engine from the bottom by my self no help needed.

I can promise you if you trying doing it from the bottom you'll never remove or install the engine from the top agian.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not asking which is better. i already removed the motor from the top. the motor is out of my car being built. i was just wondering if it is possible to put the tranny and motor back through the top as one.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, you can do that. Its a HUGE PITA but yes. What every one on here is trying to tell you is that its MUCH easier to do it from the bottom as one. I would recommend you do it from the bottom as well. IMO
Old 05-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by incbed
Also I would like to add I can remove and install the engine from the bottom by my self no help needed. car accessories I can promise you if you trying doing it from the bottom you'll never remove or install the engine from the top agian.
Exactly how I felt once I started to remove the engine from the bottom and not the top.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to go in from the top. I can get the motor in from the top and put the tranny in from the bottom quicker than I can pull the K-member and mess with jacking the car up high enough and all that other stuff that goes along with it. Then I don't need to get the car aligned either. My advice is to do them separately. Just my opinion.

Jon
Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it can be done.
I'm not sure why everyone ALWAYS has to get into a which is better discussion...

If you haven't already, float the AC condendor and dryer out of the way, Remove the motor mount pedestals (At least the pass side) and remove your balancer and WP. You'll have to find your "happy" balance point twice (at least). First, guiding it in (sometimes cocked), then walking it back. You will need some help if you want to do it without scarfing up your engine bay.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My experience is I've done many engine/tranny combos out and back in the top by myself with the hood off of course in older and newer camaros and never had any problems . tilting the engine/tranny (tranny down) far enough is the key. I would say it takes about 20-30 min with a hoist on a surface that allows the wheels to roll unobstructed . Good luck . Oops , just noticed this thread is a year or so old .