Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking for the retro Knight Rider look. Any help out there..?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the retro Knight Rider look. Any help out there..?

Hello All... Newbie alert... A few years back I saw a TA driving down the road that had what appeard to be red NEON or LEDs mounted under the hood where the intake is... My immediate thought was Damn that's badddasss...!! I'm upgrading my headlights and fogs soon so I figured one more lighting project wouldn't hurt... Anybody have info / pics that would help..? kits, stores, etc..?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...ts_Accessories

I'd ONLY do this if my 4th gen car was black. And personally, I owned a original KR replica and I am a Knight Rider FANATIC, and I personally wouldn't try anything with a 4th gen, but I'd rather see something on a 4th gen and not a Mustang.

And some pics cause I'm a pic *****.

This is down at Tipp City for the Cruise In at the Trans Am Nationals.

For the brief period when I owned both Birds. Ended up selling KR coversion to buy a house and to get out of our apartment.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool conversion!

when neon was REALLY popular- even on American cars in the mid 90's I mounted a red 4" neon tube in each one of the hood louvers/scoops on my 87 GTA and it looked cool... I thought. I liked the car with the fog lights on, parking lights on and neon lit. It looked like a pyramid.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 1965GP.. I think i misspoke when i said NEON. Neon was relly cool back in the day when they had the ground effects kits an all...

I think what I was looking to do is go with some LEDS in the intake (nothing that pulses back and forth) or I think the "modern" option is called "ccfl light tubes." I could be a little old school here but I still think it's a mean look for the front end. Especialy with some HIDs up front.

Any thoughts or suggestions on where to shop..?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.paveglio.com/firebird/200...tml#neonlights

Here is a guys write up for neon type bulbs. I'm down for the scanning effect, but I think you already know that floats my boat.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool KR conversion. at one time i thought about putting scanner lights in my ram air grills. my car does kind of have the KITT look to it, lol.

And in a sick twisted way, my car could be like the middle ground between the new and old kitt. old kitt was a 1982 and new kitt was a 2008, right in between those years you get 1995. And my hood resembles that of the new kitt while the car itself resembles the old kitt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for the retro Knight Rider look. Any help out there..?