Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

engagment issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engagment issues

ok so I just did the clutch test, whereas you sit on a flat spot, engage the clutch, put the tranny in 1st gear, slowly rev the engine and see if the car moves. well, at about 5000rpms the car starts to move forward. Damn It! so the clutch is a SPEC 3. its got some time in the car but since i rarely drive it, it might have. I bought the clutch in 2005. since then ive put maybe 3000 miles on it. well when i put the clutch in, I knew little about the details on clutch installation. I had the stock flywheel turned and used it with my SPEC clutch kit. in the package cam a round metal thingy... at the time i didnt know it was a shim....still have it today. anyways i stuck the kit in the car... clutch didnt shutter or shake , seemed to shift fine. so i figured everything was cool. fast forward to today. Ive been thinking alot about proper set ups and the short cuts I may have taken along the way. Its a learning process. so thats what lead me to checking the release of the clutch. so after that exhausting story, my question is... is it too late for this clutch? can the shim stim be used to correct the problem. what are my options?
Thanks in advance
Shawn
Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

What master do you have? If its adjustable, thats what I have. Its the only way to go on these cars.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is a stock master with the drill mod i keep up on the fluid too
Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would talk to Spec about shimming it, or you could get a new master and adjust it. There is a spec guy on here.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt use a shim with my spec 3+ but heres a thread 4 u to look at
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its most deff that the next clutch going in i will measure, i guess what my question is; is it too late to shim it or am i needing a new clutch or an adj master? from what i am reading, there is less air gap once its broken in, so is it too late to even consider r&r the tranny to put the given shim in?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

The kit is designed to use the shim...if it wasn't installed then you will be more likely to have release issues. Also, do you know how much material was removed from the flywheel during the resurface? Either way you can reference the shim link above to check measurments.

Ultimately you will need to install the shim and please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The kit is designed to use the shim...if it wasn't installed then you will be more likely to have release issues. Also, do you know how much material was removed from the flywheel during the resurface? Either way you can reference the shim link above to check measurments.

Ultimately you will need to install the shim and please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have. Thanks!
so you think i should be alright to pull the tranny, measure and shim and should be fine?