Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss for 1 second while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss for 1 second while driving...

I have a 98 z28 6speed. Once in a while, the car feels like it loses quite a bit of horsepower while accelerating. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it happens somewhere between 2800-3400 RPM. Everything seems normal whenever it happens, the RPMs don't drop, the sound of the engine/exhaust doesn't change. It just jerks me forward a little because all of the sudden the car stops accelerating hard for about 1-2 seconds. It almost feels like it's only running on 6 or 7 cylinders. Then the power kicks back in and pushes me in my seat.

It's not throwing any codes.
I've changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, cleaned maf screen. I thought maybe the fuel pump wasn't getting enough power (bad ground/relay or weak wires), so I wired a 2nd fuel pump inside the tank with all new wiring + a switch. So I had 2 pumps running at the same time. Didn't help. (I was going to do that anyway for the future nitrous)

I know there are a lot of things that it could be, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem? Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Teching In

I had the exact same problem as you few months ago,,my car feels like just losing power out of no where between 2500 rpm and 3800 rpm,,,making LONG LONG STORY short,,It turned out to be the GOD DAMN TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) was bad in it,,it took me forever to figure this out,,changed it and problem solved
it is relatively cheep too,,it was around 30-40 dollars as i can remember
Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low trac light coming on?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny because my car is doing the exact same thing. I imagine it is the TPS but never have gotten around to changing it.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Funny because my car is doing the exact same thing. I imagine it is the TPS but never have gotten around to changing it.
We need to get on that **** bro.

Might explain some of what seems to be tune problems too.