Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spectra gas tank pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra gas tank pump failure?

My pump didn't last a week before it failed. Rockauto was cool about it, got a whole new tank coming in tomorrow. I checked before I installed it, no corrosion and checked again when I took it out. Anybody else have any problems with the pump itself or is this one just a fluke?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Theres a lot of talk about that on chevelles.com, most from what Ive read replace the stock pump with a walbro 255
Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen this over and over, and if you have a GM A body, the

94-96 SS Imapala
90-96 Caprice
90-96 Buick Roadmaster
90-96 Caddy Fleetwood

You can pay $500
and go through the aggravation of slosh when turning, and pump failure and poor design.....

I paid $50 for 95 SS impala
$125 for walbro pump kit...
$175

or

$500 for spectre tank
$125-$200 for another pump
$626

You do the math... When will people learn that just because it cost more does not mean its better....

Last edited by bozzhawg; 08-20-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Launching!

mine has about 5-6k on it and ir working fine, although i'm pulling it out and putting in a walbro 255 to keep up with the blower
Old 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went the Impala tank and walbro (Racetronix setup) over 5 years ago and no problem with the setup.. (a minor one with my wiring but nothing with the tank or pump)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Spectra tank is $320 before 5% code at rockauto, not quite $500, and it fits. Impala tank is plastic, looks terrible, still needs a pump upgrade and seems to require cutting the trunk in at least some cases. I don't recall ever seeing anyone write "hey, the spectra tank costs more so it must be better" when talking about why they use one.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Spectra tank is $320 before 5% code at rockauto, not quite $500, and it fits. Impala tank is plastic, looks terrible, still needs a pump upgrade and seems to require cutting the trunk in at least some cases. I don't recall ever seeing anyone write "hey, the spectra tank costs more so it must be better" when talking about why they use one.
Mine fit fine, with no cutting .... And the Spectre tank must have dropped their price... beacuase last time I checked it was $435-$450 then you add shipping $50-$100 depending on where you live...... Then the peice of **** pump that it comes with..... Then the time and labor of dropping your tank, then reinstalling a better quality pump....... I am not saying that the spectre tank is any better or less, but how many more cases of pump failures, and issues with slosh, and incorrect fuel tank level readings do you need to consider a part not worth it... Several and I mean not just 1-2 but hundreds have had issues with the spectre tanks...... So hey, if you like buying parts and fixing on the imperfections, go ahead..... I don't... and my $50 tank is still rolling........ The point I am making is why keep buying a tank that is fugg'd up? And I doubt seriously if you ever even seen the impala tank up close and in person on a a body, you are only going off internet prob...

I'm fairly new here but I really doubt anyone is going to sit down and spoon-feed you the answers like that. Spend time reading and then ask specific questions and you will get a lot more info.
This speaks volumes... enough said.... do you even have a LSX in your chevelle?

Last edited by bozzhawg; 08-21-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You joined in Jan of this year, but I'm not sure what being new to an internet forum has to do with anything, as post counts and join dates aren't really metrics by which to judge a person's character, and not joining doesn't mean one has not been reading. Similarly, I could have 0 cars or two dozen, but that wouldn't change the issue I had with your earlier post. I have no issue with you personally and in fact have learned things from your posts (found car-part.com from one of them) so nothing was meant to be personal, but you seemed to imply that people who used a spectra tank were essentially stupid, and that people were buying them because they were more expensive; I've never seen any indication that either of those things were actually true (people who spend money buy Rick's tank, and it seems to have the same issues to a smaller degree). People buy the spectra tank because it is an easy and fairly cheap solution to one of the remaining tricky parts of the install, and on the surface it seems like the logical thing to do. The impala tank is a good option for some and there are even benefits to cutting the trunk, but that isn't the only way to go and many people will not like it.
It doesn't matter to me what people do, it just seems unfair to belittle people for going with what by all accounts is a reasonable and painless option. Nobody likes buying parts and fixing imperfections, but having read a lot about what everyone else has done throwing a walbro into a spectra tank seems like an ideal solution to me, though swapping the pump would be the first thing on the agenda. I have seen the impala tank in person and don't really care for it; that is just an opinion. If I find one cheap next time I'm at the yard I might try it though, who knows, and if I can get it in without cutting a hole in my trunk it might prove to be the best option. Perhaps I could make a sheet metal cover for it.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but you seemed to imply that people who used a spectra tank were essentially stupid, and that people were buying them because they were more expensive;.
You truly missed my point..... I was stating actually about the pumps, but also in correlation to the spectre tank and I will stand behind what I say... They are not effcient and do no warrant the cost...period... thats my take on it.... And I am not going to send Rick's kids to college and that is highway robbery for $900+ for a damn gas tank, super inflated price..... But people are willing to pay..... Then they post here or other boards about the issues they are having...... If I pay $400+ for a tank it better be legit 100%, I should not have to spend more money period... Or you cannot even run 1/4th of a tank without burning up your pump or slosh.......It was no shot at you.... You are the only one that took it personal.... But you buy what you want....
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Angry

Which Walbro 255 model do I need to replace the POS Spectre pump?

It appears they make several different styles and I would like a "direct drop in" so that I don't have to modify my impressive (lol) tank? You can add me to list of customers that have become a victim of the pump failure. Drove my car down the road for the 1st time today and with less than 1 mile on it I have encountered the notorious pump failure associated with these in the Spectre tank.

FYI - I called rockauto about the pump failure just to see if there might be a recall or if they were willing to make a good faith adjustment in recogniton of all the problems asscoaited with this product. In summary, they were less than cool about it. Basically they stated it has been slightly more thank 12 months since I purchased it so it appears I am SOL.

They also suggested that any warranty would be voided since my car was modified. I probed a little as to what they were implying and they said that my car should have come with a 327, 350 or 396 and now that it has a 6.0 LS2 it was obvious that the car was modified from the factory specifications. Are you freakin' kidding me... I amost laughed at the implication and the obvious lack of product knowledge from the representative. I asked for a supervisor but was told one was not avaialble until Monday. Jeez.... Needless to say, I am very dissappointed with their customer service and the lack of of understanding and concern regarding this likely being a mfg. defect/ design flaw.

Thanks in advance for any assistance regarding the actual pump I need to resolve this issue...
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is everybody down on the stock pump. have all but 3 years on a 96 caprice pump. its now 15 years old and still 61 at the rail. am i missing something.are you guys with the walbro pumps have more than 61 pounds at the fuel rail. if not, don`t see the advantage for the money. your fuel regulator decides fuel pressure not the pump right???
Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

I'll take any pump that works and is reliable. It seems the Walbro is the one that fits the Spectre pump? I'm open to suggestions as long as I don't have to modify anything on the tank I have?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I just seen a new turbine style in a "new parts" section of a mag. http://www.dragzine.com/news/pri-201...lth-fuel-pump/

center of the page has 3 versions
http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/fuel-pumps/

hopes this helps.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

I had one dead right out of the box. Had to send the complete tank back to rock auto for exchange. When I talked to Spectra they said if I had any future problems with the sending unit or pump I would again have to return the complete tank.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default might help some

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/...8668_18669.pdf
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That info says that it needs 9.75" min. vertical room. the spectre tank isn't that thick i don't believe...seems like I measured mine awhile back an it was only about 7" deep... I maybe wrong tho!!!

Rick

Quick Reply: Spectra gas tank pump failure?